MSI - Neo2 865PE FISR - IDE Drives

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by aolson, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. aolson

    aolson Guest

    Hello,
    I currently have 2 drives plugged into IDE1, 2 in IDE2 and 2 in IDE3.
    Whenever I have a drive plugged into IDE3 I have issues with my PC
    being unstable. I recently was noticing what i thought were issues
    with my RAM which after much playing around, came to find that when I
    would unplug the drives from IDE3 the RAM would check out and the PC
    seems to work fine. why can't i have drives plugged into IDE3? I have
    purchased a new power supply thinking maybe there was some power issues
    but that has not solved it either. I have tried 3 different brands of
    varying sizes from 40gig drives to 200gig drives.
    Also, i did upgrade the bios to 2.5 in this machine thinking the latest
    release may fix it but it did not.

    Here are my machine specs if this helps:

    865 Neo2 FIS2R
    1gig Geil DDr 400mhz RAM
    512MB off brand DDR 400mhz RAM
    DVD-ROM
    ATI 9600xt Video Card AGP
    Antec TruePower 430Watt PSU
    2-200gig WD IDE Drives
    1-160gig Maxtor IDE Drive
    1-120gig WD IDE Drive
    1-80gig WD IDE Drive

    I have also tried some miscellaneous 40gig drives I have laying around
    with the same result. The old power supplies I tried was a 400 watt
    and a 380 both yielding the same result. Ideally this is what I would
    like to run above but with IDE3 not seeming to operate I can't get
    all of the drives working. It does seem that when I plug my dvd-rom
    into ide3 that errors go away and it works but that seems strange. Any
    ideas? Thanks for the help.

    aolson, Mar 4, 2005

  2. aolson

    Wizard Guest