MSI K8N SLI MB w/Seagate 300GB SATA WinXP Problems!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob P, Sep 1, 2006.

  1. Bob P

    Bob P Guest

    I can't get any disk/drive copy recovery disks to boot.

    Ghost2003 hangs on restart and required me to do a XP reinstall!

    The Ghost recovery FDs wont even make it to load the 2nd disk. Acronis
    True Image behaves the same way and even my old reliable PM 8.05 FDs
    won't load the program?????

    I am no expert but I am assuming my problem is SATA drive related.

    I have tried install XP using the latest nVidia FD drivers and have let
    XP install the native drivers and I still can't get any of these
    backup/utility programs to work.

    MSI MB setup includes the following drives...

    C:/ D: partitioned 300GB Seagate SATA

    G: 80GB Maxtor IDE

    E: BENQ DVD-ROM 16x

    F: BENQ DVD DQ 60 burner

    Every drive work fine but I cant back the damn SATA partitions.

    Any help greatly appreciated, Bob P

    Bob P, Sep 1, 2006

  2. Bob P

    Jerry Attic Guest

    Remember when you loaded XP the firdt time, that you to put a floppy in
    that contained the SATA drivers? XP doesn't have native SATA drivers,
    you have to give them to it right at the very beginning of the boot off
    of the CD. Good luck on the work around on this one.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Sep 1, 2006

  3. Bob P

    Meat Plow Guest

    That's odd I don't recall installing a SATA driver when I changed to a
    SATA drive. I used Acronis Migrate Easy to image a SATA drive from a PATA
    source and it worked without any intervention from me.

    Meat Plow, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Bob P

    El Sadistico Guest

    The MSI MB installation instructions say to install their nVidia FD
    drivers when prompted by XP setup (the F6 option) I have installed XP
    both with and without the F6 FD nVidia drivers and it didn't change the
    problem. Both installs resulted in a functional OS

    Thanks for the input. It's got me stumped. I cannot get any bootable
    disks (FD, CD-R, or DVD-R) to load the recovery /restore programs at
    boot. They just stall out and I end up having to hit the reset....???

    I have used Ghost, Drive Image, Drive Clone for years in otherv IDE HDD
    boxes and never had a problem. I dunno......maybe I'll go into the BIOS
    and see if I can totally F*** it up.

    Thanks, Bob

    El Sadistico, Sep 2, 2006