MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Video/POST problems?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kate, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. kate

    kate Guest

    Hi folks,

    Built this system in Dec 04 and all was stable and fantastic until I
    went to upgrade my video card. At that point my mobo would hang during
    POST (before any readout would come on screen). PSU pumps up, all fans
    engage, DVD player LED flashes on... and just when you'd normally see
    the BIOS routine kick in.... nothing. Black screen and no ticks or
    clicks or any of the noises of booting. Just the fans spinning and it
    hanging.

    Does the PCIe slot have different sompliant versions? My mobo manual
    says PCIe v1.0a, but I couldn't see PCIe version numbers on my video
    card manuals.

    Particulars:
    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Ultra nVidia (non-SLI version)
    AMD Athlon 64 +3000 (1.8 GHz) CPU
    1GB Muskin DDR400 PC3200 Dual channel RAM (2 x 512)
    (2) Samsung Hi-Point SATS II 160BG 7200rpm/8MB drives
    1 Plextor SATA II DVD
    SoundBlaster Live! Drive
    Floppy
    Chaintech 6200GT PCIe
    420w RAIDMAX PSU

    So I swapped out the RAIDMAX PSU for a modular OCZ 420W PCIe-ready PSU
    with plenty of juice on the +12V rail (32A vs the minimally required
    22A). Put in a brand new 7900GTO 256-bit bus, 512MB card.

    Got the problem described above. Would not boot or POST. Reset CMOS,
    took out battery a few minutes and put it back. Same thing.
    Swapped out new video card for old oen (6200GT), and after resettting
    CMOS again, it booted fine. Several times.

    Put back in the 7900GTO card (and plugged in the PCIe connector each
    time of course), and same as before. No POST.

    Thought maybe it was the PSU tripping off the necessary power. The tech
    at OCZ thought so too. Returned the PSU and card (fan was too loud for
    me anyway), and got a XION 600w PSU, PCIe-ready, and a XFX 7950GT
    passively cooled card. Meanwhile my system has been working perfectly in
    its original configuration, as expected.

    Today I pop out my RAIDMAX PSU, and pop in the XION PSU. I boot with my
    existing (old) video card that always works. No problems.

    I shut everything down, unplug the PSU, ground myself (all my normal
    steps) and remove the old card to swap in the new 7950GT.

    SAME PROBLEM. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! No POST or boot.

    Take the card out and put back in the non-demanding 6200GT and it boots
    fine.

    Now I think it's the mobo.

    But I can't figure out why the PCIe slot would work with the 6200 and
    not the 7900s? I would think it would either work, or not. I called MSI
    and they just said to ship it to them to eb tested/repaired, but it
    takes 3 weeks, and I use this computer for my livlihood. Which means I
    have to buy another mobo to use in the meantime, and end up with a
    spare.

    Something seems... kooky. Does anyone have ANY ideas I could try? THANKS
    SO MUCH FOR READING! :-D

    Kate

    kate, Oct 19, 2006