    either. Can anyone give me a hand?

    Thanks!!
    Grant

    Guest, Jun 4, 2006

  2. Do note, that you should not extract the ISO file and you should not burn it
    to the CD as a copy. Depending on your burner software - in Nero you chose
    your media (CD or DVD) and the go look for the item "Burn Image to Disk".
    When you click that a dialog will open and then you navigate to the ISO
    file, make sure that "File Type" in the box lists ISO files, or you won't
    see it. Other Burners use the same concept but may list them differently or
    use other names.

    The problem is that an ISO file is not a file containing the data of the
    disk - it is a digital 'clone' of the actual disk, hence the confusion!

    We usually point folks to Charlies blog:

    -- Charlie. http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    you will probably find answers to other questions as well!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2006

  3. Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 4, 2006
  4. O.K. - thanks, I'll try and make a note of that, but when that installation
    is up and running, I will recommend your's as worth a visit just the same.

    ;0o)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2006
  5. Thanks, Tony. You'll notice I just put a new entry up - how to un-install
    x64. :) I originally thought this was obvious, but from the number of
    emails I've gotten, it isn't. Next one, when I get a moment, is how to
    upgrade from trial to OEM.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 4, 2006
  6. Ah, yes - but as John once mentioned ( I think it was John) if you are
    dual-booting, un-installing is no trivial matter.

    These additions will be well recieved, I'm sure.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2006
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Tony & Mike for your replies! I think I correctly extracted the ISO
    to the CD... I didn't just burn the ISO file to the CD. I'll walk through
    the tutorial step by step and come back shortly with whether that worked!

    Thanks again for the quick replies!

    Grant

    Guest, Jun 4, 2006
  8. That would be the problem - you do NOT extract the ISO to the CD. You burn
    it as an image. (and where did Mike get into this? <g>)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 4, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Sorry - that's what I meant... just like I meant Charlie!! :) I burned it as
    an image using the XP PowerToy. I've had this problem for any MSDN
    downloaded OS I try to burn to CD and boot with.

    One other thing I just realized: The only versions available to me are the
    Itanium-based version (I have an AMD), and the Volume License version. And
    apparently my organization doesn't have a Volume License for x64!

    So, I'm going to try downloading the trial and burn that (the correct way)
    and see if I can boot from that CD. I'll keep you posted!

    Guest, Jun 4, 2006
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Another probably dumb question - how can I buy x64? I've found a bunch of
    sites but not sure if they're legit? And it isn't available direct from
    Microsoft except in volume licenses.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2006
  11. One good way would be to physically visit a shop with a reputation and order
    it with some piece of hardware that you want anyway, a mouse or a length of
    cable or whatever.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2006
  12. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    John Barnes, Jun 4, 2006
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 4, 2006
  14. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    So was mine, Andre. They were the first one that had it available, at least
    the first one anyone on this site found.

    John Barnes, Jun 4, 2006
  15. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 4, 2006