Msconfig won't run - help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cat Erina, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Cat Erina

    Cat Erina Guest

    Hello.

    My system is VERY slow and tends to freeze since my last windows update a
    couple of weeks ago. Someone suggested I check the list of items that load
    at startup and eliminate what is useless.

    The thing is, when I try to run MSCONFIG from the start tab, nothing
    happens, nothing at all. No new window appears, I don't get to go to the
    Startup tab to see what can be safely dispensed with.

    I located Msconfig.exe by doing a search and tried clicking on it directly,
    but nothing happened when I did either.

    How can I check the items that are loading at startup if I can't open
    Msconfig?

    I have Windows 98.

    Thanks for taking the time.

    Catherine ()
    If you e-mail me directly, please write in the object line that you are
    answering my plea for help because I don't open messages from strangers...

    Cat Erina, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Cat Erina

    DC Guest

    Catherine, maybe have a look at RegSeeker (freeware) -- ISTR that it
    will allow you to inspect/disable/remove startup items.

    I would recommend removing them from within the actual program itself
    (is such an option exists) before letting RegSeeker do it. Not that
    RegSeeker does a poor job -- it's just almost always better to do it
    that way.
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/mail-responses.html
    http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?emailreply

    DC, Nov 18, 2004

  3. Cat Erina

    Unk Guest

    Check for a virus. This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus
    named Stinger. It will scan your system for 47 known viruses and trojans and
    repair them. You don't need McAfee anti-virus installed on your computer... this
    is a stand alone program. http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    Direct download: http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    Free online virus scanners
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/