    Dick Reuben Guest

    When I try to start MSConfig, it loads momentaarily and then closes.

    Any thought, anyone?

    Dick Reuben, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Dick Reuben

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Dick Reuben said:
    Run it in a DOS Prompt.
    Also run a virus/trojan scan to check you haven't been infected.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Dick Reuben

    Unk Guest

    Msconfig - Corrupt: For Win9x, ME
    Restore it from the CD.
    Click Start, Run. In the run box, type "sfc" without the quotes
    and press "Enter". When the System File Checker starts, check the
    option "Extract one file from installation disk". Enter the filename
    in the box. msconfig.exe
    The file restores to the "C:\Windows\System" folder

    HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605

    How to extract files in Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001011114021106?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=5

    Msconfig - Corrupt: For Windows XP

    To extract: Open a command prompt window. (Start, Run, cmd.exe)
    Insert your XP CD into the drive and enter the following command:
    (Where "X:" is your cd-rom) (Copy & Paste to prevent syntax errors)

    EXPAND -R X:\I386\MSCONFIG.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES
    This will extract a new copy of the MSCONFIG.EXE from the CD.

    If you don't have the CD, download the file from here:
    http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads.html
    http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads/msconfig.zip
    Unzip the file and save it in "C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES"

    Startup Control Panel stand-alone utilitys (like msconfig)
    For Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    http://www.forrestandassociates.co.uk/pcforrest/startman_v1.html

    Unk

    Unk, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Dick Reuben

    Mellowed Guest

    Hey Unk, That's nice info.

    :
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/pfdocs/2001011114021106?O

    Mellowed, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Dick Reuben

    Mara Guest

    2000 doesn't, either. You can download and install XP's version of it, and I
    have before, but StartupCPL appears to work much better.

    "That's my experience, anyway."

    <snip>

    Mara, Aug 8, 2003
  6. Daaaah, sure Geoidge....

    "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>msconfig
    'msconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file."

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 10, 2003
  7. Dick Reuben

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD said:
    Yes and running it in a DOS Promot allows the user tyo see that message when it
    can't be seen from the Run box.
    I have questioned the presence of MSConfig XP in another thread, it isn't on my
    system (W2000).
    If you are going to insist on trolling people, at least keep up-to-date with
    posts, you are always days behind.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 10, 2003