ms Word 2000 keeps adding unwanted text to documents

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by diggerodell, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. diggerodell

    diggerodell Guest

    Several months ago, I posted for help on a problem that was somewhat
    similar to
    the problem I'm having now.

    This was the original problem:

    Whenever I open msWord (the Office 2000 version), I
    get a page full of text -- the same page each time --
    rather than a blank Document. How do I reset the
    opening screen to a completely blank Document
    page?

    Fortunately DL <> came to the
    rescue, saying "Search for normal.dot and delete"
    And it worked.

    But now the ugly beast has reappeared, causing a slightly altered mess:

    Now, whenever I open any Word document, a bunch of 42 nonsense lines
    are
    added to the bottom of the actual document. Even though I delete
    normal.dot,
    the garbage lines continue to reappear.

    Any thoughts on what the culprit might be?
    Thanks! Digger

    BTW -- Here is a sample of those mysterious lines:

    namebC:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Word\AutoRecovery save of Document1.asd
    name
    name
    C:\TEMP2\Fasolino.doc
    C:\TEMP2\Fasolino.doc
    name
    name
    C:\TEMP2\Fasolino.docÿ??x
    Unknownÿ!
    Times New Roman
    Times New Roman
    Symbol
    Symbol
    Dear Ms
    Dear Ms
    name
    name
    name
    name
    Dear Ms
    name
    Normal.dot
    name
    Microsoft Word 9.0
    Dear Ms
    Root Entry
    1Table
    1Table
    WordDocument
    WordDocument
    SummaryInformation
    SummaryInformation
    DocumentSummaryInformation
    DocumentSummaryInformation
    CompObj
    CompObj
    ObjectPool
    ObjectPool
    Microsoft Word Document
    MSWordDoc
    Word.Document.8

    diggerodell, Jan 10, 2007

  2. diggerodell

    thanatoid Guest

    <SNIP>

    The last time I used Office was about 6 years ago, and I hope to
    never have to install it again.

    Still, while I don't know WHY this stuff is showing up on your
    "normal" document screen (it is HIDDEN in EVERY Word document,
    along with other things some people - like Ms Fasolino's current
    significant other - would rather NOT have there, just carefully
    examine some of your heavily-edited documents in Notepad or
    something like it), what I would do is

    a) delete the normal.dot

    b) create a new document with the basic template elements per
    your taste and name it normal.dot and MAKE IT READ-ONLY.

    c) if you want to further simplify your life, make a few other
    modified templates with a .dot extension (all read-only)
    depending on the several most frequent types of documents you
    tend to create.

    d) of course, to REALLY simplify your life, I would delete Word
    (or preferably all of Office) entirely and get NoteTabLight,
    it's free and better.

    You might also want to take a look at
    http://www.xtort.net/office/floppyoffice.php
    and
    http://www.xtort.net/office/officesuite.php

    P.S.
    Just a guess. but the clue to your problem MAY lie in these
    lines:
    Find this and delete it. May or may not be possible, in which
    case go back to d).

    thanatoid, Jan 11, 2007

  3. diggerodell

    William Guest

    Try this:

    1) Open Word

    2) Click File > Open

    3) In the OPEN dialogue, look at the bottom of the window and locate
    the drop-down list named "Files of type:". This will probably contain
    "Recover text from any file". Change it to "Word documents".

    4) Open a document, then close that document, then close Word.

    5) Reopen Word and check a document.

    Good luck!

    William, Jan 11, 2007
  4. diggerodell