MS Press 70-236 - Reapply SPs?

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Tim, May 19, 2008.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I keep coming across this in the MS Press Training book for MCTS 70-236
    Exchange 2007 Configuration, and it's bugging me. The author(s) keeps saying
    that you must reapply a service pack after adding Windows components such as
    IIS, networking services, etc. in Server 2003, unless you used slipstreamed
    media to install of course. I have always thought that was only back in the
    NT4 days? Through my travels/learning and talking with other people I thought
    this annoyance was solved in Windows 2000 and newer, so quite a long time
    ago. Is it true, or dependent on how you installed the SP? Generally I
    install the OS, then use a network install file to apply the SP, deleting it
    after I'm done since I assume it's no longer needed.

    If it's true it worries me that I've been doing it wrong for so long, and if
    it's not true it really worries me that an official MS book would be printing
    this. I have been doing some web searches but I see no other mention of
    reapplying service packs past NT4 anywhere. In fact I found a MS KB saying
    otherwise even for Win2000 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274215. But I'm
    not sure that clarifies it either... Say I install Server 2003, then use the
    SP2 file to apply the SP. If I install IIS afterwards and it asks me for the
    disc, I'll put in the original disc (or point it at i386 copied from the
    original disc), and assume it grabs any updated cabs from the SP it needs
    from the driver cache folder as well. Is this not correct?

    Tim, May 19, 2008

  2. You're absolutely right. That's not been a true statement since the days of
    Windows =NT=!!!

    (has somebody been updating their Exchange books by copying text from
    the previous versions???)

    Exchange 2000 on Windows NT, would certainly have been a subject of this
    concern; but Exchange 2003 won't run on Windows NT, so that statement is at
    least "two versions of Exchange" old.

    Windows 2000 introduced technology that makes "reapplying" the service pack
    unnecessary (unless you've mucked with the hidden folders in %windir% that
    support this feature). The feature continued in Windows XP/2003 and in
    Vista.
    Actually... if you install the RTM version, then apply the SP, then install
    a core component, the installer will actually ask you for the "service pack"
    CDROM.. not the RTM CDROM -- and it would only do this if it couldn't find
    the files needed already in the Service Pack cache in the %windir% folder.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin, May 20, 2008

  3. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Thanks Lawrence, glad to know I'm not going crazy. But this leaves me very
    disappointed in MS Press. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the
    amount of errors, misspellings, etc. I see in their books, the editing there
    seems to be lackluster at best.

    Tim, May 20, 2008
  4. Don't blame the publisher for this snafu..

    Note the name of the Technical Editor (who most certainly should have caught
    this ancient inaccuracy),
    as well as the Author.

    Then write an email to mspress and advise them that you'll not likely
    purchase anymore books written by <author>
    or edited by <technical editor>.

    Oh.. in all fairness.. you should first check the errata page for the
    book...
    but this 'error' shouldn't have made it past the first edit.

    Sometimes it is......

    Technical editing is a human/contractor relationship, and good Technical
    Editors are hard to come by.

    Lawrence Garvin, May 21, 2008
  5. When you upgraded from SP1 to SP2 there were some bugs and it killed some
    stuff out of Add/Remove Windows Components. If you google you might find it.
    We had this problem at 20~ clients when we rolled out SP2.

    Michael Gossett, Jun 27, 2008