    free.
    Can anyone help please,
    thanks Monika

    MJR, Feb 7, 2005

  2. MJR

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Everytime I open ms paint I get the following message" there is not enough
    | memory or recources to complete this operation. Close some programs and
    then
    | try again"
    |
    | I have gone into msconfig - start up and unchecked all applications. Still
    | did not work.
    | I am running windows 98 with 256 mb ram. System resources are 71 percent
    | free.
    | Can anyone help please,
    | thanks Monika

    Sure ... but please check this first: how much hard drive space do you have
    available? If you are running low on hard drive space, programs which are
    trying to use a swap file will have problems.

    If you have plenty of hard drive space, there are things to try.

    First off, here's what Microsoft has to say:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129545

    If that doesn't help, and you have your Windows setup CD (or files in
    C:\windows\options\cabs),

    1) uninstall paint - start, control panel, add/remove programs, middle tab
    (windows components?), select "accessories", then click on "details. Find
    the paint program, remove the checkmark from in front of it, and click okay
    (as many times as necessary) to get all those little dialog boxes closed.

    2) reinstall paint - same as above, but put the checkmark back in front of
    the paint program.

    If that still doesn't fix it, this will need a registry hack. Are you
    comfortable editing your registry?

    Toolman Tim, Feb 8, 2005

  3. MJR

    Toolman Tim, Feb 8, 2005
  4. MJR

    MJR Guest

    Tim, thanks for the advise. I still get the same error message and just now
    clicked okay on the error message and the ms pain toolbar appeared on top
    and I was able to open my picture file. Don't know why but am able to open
    pictures after clicking ok. on the error message.
    Monika

    MJR, Feb 8, 2005
  5. MJR

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, if it's working you might want to leave it alone. If you continue to
    have problems, or decide you're fed up with the error message, try the
    following 'fix' as well.

    Win98 doesn't have "System Restore" so you might want to make a backup of
    the registry before doing this.

    1.Click Start, click Run, type scanregw, and then click OK.
    2.When you receive a prompt to back up the registry, click Yes.
    3.When you receive the "Backup complete" message, click OK.

    Then try this fix for Paint:

    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press
    ENTER.
    2. Locate and click the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Applets\Paint
    3. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.

    Exit the regedit program, and restart MS Paint. That should have cleared out
    any old impertinent data that might have been causing the problem.

    | Tim, thanks for the advise. I still get the same error message and just
    now
    | clicked okay on the error message and the ms pain toolbar appeared on top
    | and I was able to open my picture file. Don't know why but am able to
    open
    | pictures after clicking ok. on the error message.
    | Monika

    | enough
    | > | memory or recources to complete this operation. Close some programs
    and
    | > then
    | > | try again"
    | > |
    | > | I have gone into msconfig - start up and unchecked all applications.
    | Still
    | > | did not work.
    | > | I am running windows 98 with 256 mb ram. System resources are 71
    percent
    | > | free.
    | > | Can anyone help please,
    | > | thanks Monika
    | > |
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Feb 8, 2005
  6. MJR

    MJR Guest

    Thanks you so much for your advise. I followed the below instructions and
    everything works just fine - no more error messages. paint opens up and I'm
    ready to go.
    Monika

    MJR, Feb 9, 2005
  7. Now that you've got the immediate issue resolved, you might consider
    getting a real graphics application to replace the toy you're using.
    Suggestions would be The GIMP (freeware) or the version of the commercial
    PaintShopPro that's been released as freeware. Google them.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 9, 2005
  8. MJR

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I'm glad I could help!

    | Thanks you so much for your advise. I followed the below instructions and
    | everything works just fine - no more error messages. paint opens up and
    I'm
    | ready to go.
    | Monika
    |
    | | > Well, if it's working you might want to leave it alone. If you continue
    | > have problems, or decide you're fed up with the error message, try the
    | > following 'fix' as well.
    | >
    | > Win98 doesn't have "System Restore" so you might want to make a backup
    of
    | > the registry before doing this.
    | >
    | > 1.Click Start, click Run, type scanregw, and then click OK.
    | > 2.When you receive a prompt to back up the registry, click Yes.
    | > 3.When you receive the "Backup complete" message, click OK.
    | >
    | > Then try this fix for Paint:
    | >
    | > 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press
    | > ENTER.
    | > 2. Locate and click the following registry key:
    | > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
    Version\Applets\Paint
    | > 3. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.
    | >
    | > Exit the regedit program, and restart MS Paint. That should have cleared
    | out
    | > any old impertinent data that might have been causing the problem.

    | > now
    | > | clicked okay on the error message and the ms pain toolbar appeared on
    | top
    | > | and I was able to open my picture file. Don't know why but am able to
    | > open
    | > | pictures after clicking ok. on the error message.
    | > | Monika
    | > |
    | > |

    | > | enough
    | > and
    | > | > |
    | > | Still
    | > percent
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    Toolman Tim, Feb 10, 2005
  9. MJR

    Cheeseman

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I dunno.. its been happening to me too. -_-". i have enough space, so i guess it's just a glitch. If i cut out whatever im doing and re open a new paint and paste it on there, it works fine. Sometimes it doesn't, but if you keep cutting out and pasteing it to a new one, it will work eventually. If it doesn't, i dunno whadda say dude. Get a new art program i guess.

    Cheeseman, Apr 9, 2011