    security that i want.. your recommendations are appreciated, i just
    hate java anyway and want it to be as unobtrusive and safe as
    possible. mahalo and aloha

    dakine, Jul 20, 2004

  2. dakine

    °Mike° Guest

    If you hate Java, disable it totally and be done with it.

    If you already have Microsoft's VM installed, make sure
    you install the VM security update from Windowsupdate.

    Personally, I won't install Sun's bloated version.

    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2004

  3. dakine

    CoCo Guest

    hi

    uninstall ms java and if you like or need java at all, install sun java (not
    as big as mike says)
    since i installed suns java i have not got another exploit warning from
    mcafee.......

    coco

    CoCo, Jul 20, 2004
  4. dakine

    °Mike° Guest

    Well, let's see, shall we?

    Sun's J2RE-1_4_2_05-windows-i586-p.exe == 14.91 MB
    Microsoft's msjavx86.exe == 5.2 MB

    Now, tell me that Sun's version is not bloated -- it's also
    slower in my experience.

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:02:13 +0200, in
    <cJ8Lc.13620$>
    CoCo scrawled:

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2004
  5. dakine

    Craven Birds Guest

    Cobblers! If you don't realise the differences, don't comment :-(

    Craven Birds, Jul 21, 2004
  6. dakine

    trout Guest

    And you obviously didn't understand the reply. I suggest you pause
    long enough to try to understand the material before succumbing to this
    irrestible urge you've found to follow Mike around, nipping at at his
    pantlegs.
    It could mean the difference in appearing a complete, drooling
    moron; as opposed to merely stupidly pointless.

    trout, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Howdy!

    Now, now, Mike. Two things - one, the Sun JVM is a fully stand
    alone product. The MS JVM relies on extant DLLs, and is in total bigger
    when you include such niceties as the MFC files it requires (but are
    installed with Windows, etc.)

    The "slower" - well, slower loading, true. But once loaded, it feels
    faster playing Java-based games and using Java-based IRC clients (not a
    scientific test, true!) than Microsoft's.

    Plus, I'll gladly swap a little speed to avoid the ByteVerifier
    trojan B)

    But, fine, I'll tell you it's not bloated.

    Oh - also notice the download INCLUDES the installer, the Microsoft
    one spits out a .MSI file for the Microsoft Installer to handle. Bit of a
    difference there ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 21, 2004
  8. dakine

    °Mike° Guest

    Don't you have some trains and birds to tick off
    in your grubby little book?

    °Mike°, Jul 21, 2004
  9. dakine

    °Mike° Guest

    Who are you "Now, now"''ing, with your "Howdy!" greeting?
    And that proves what, exactly?
    Prove that MS JVM is bigger.
    You see that? ... "installed with Windows". That means that
    the resources are *already* there (not specifically part of
    the JVM 'package'), whether you use MS JVM or Sun's
    bloated crap.
    MUCH slower.
    Nope, it does not.
    Updated versions are not vulnerable to that exploit (it's not a
    trojan, by the way).
    And I'll tell you that you're talking out of your backside.
    So what? The end result is still much larger, and clunkier.
    Translation: MS JVM is leaner.
    Where?

    °Mike°, Jul 21, 2004
  10. dakine