MS is disabling the ability to re-activate a preinstalled OEM copy of XP over the net

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Thor, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Thor

    Thor Guest

    Thor, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Thor

    JD Guest

    That's old news..and you cannot replace the motherboard ! its against
    the oem eula! .. you don't get that problem with XP ent. and you can
    upgrade the full retail version as much as you like (but don't quote me
    on that)

    JD, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Thor

    VWWall Guest

    Especially when MSFT does things like this:

    http://www.crn.com/nl/crnupdate/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=60402957

    Novell is pushing their version of SUSE as a Windows Desktop replacement:

    http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2004/11/pr04075.html

    Let's wish them success! :)

    VWWall, Feb 25, 2005
  4. MS keeps the activatiion record for 120 days on retail versions of Windows.
    After that, you can upgrade the mobo or anything else, the activation is
    considered to be 'new'.

    Brian Wescombe, Feb 25, 2005