    card with either the Siemens or Linksys routers. Does Microsoft not do
    regression testing with anything other than their own products?

    I hope their support reads this group, because I need a patch ASAP.

    Guest, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Guest

    Bryan Martin Guest

    Follow the instructions below
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811259)

    How to Recover from Winsock2 corruption
    To resolve this issue, delete the corrupted registry keys, and then
    reinstall of the TCP/IP protocol.
    Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and
    then click Delete:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

    When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes
    the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two
    keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys,
    the next step does not work correctly.
    Step 2: Install TCP/IP
    Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
    Click Install.
    Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    Click Have Disk.
    Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
    On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and
    then click OK.
    Restart the computer.

    Bryan Martin

    Bryan Martin, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    Bryan,

    Actually, the netsh command does both of those steps.
    1) Start - Run - "cmd". Type "netsh winsock reset catalog" into the command
    window.
    2) Restart system.
    3) Start - Run - "cmd". Type "netsh int ip reset c:\netsh.txt" into the
    command window.
    4) Restart system.

    Be aware that, if you have any custom applications that inserted Winsock
    entries, and you want to continue using those applications, you may have to re
    install them.

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Sep 7, 2004