MS fudges deals again....Birmingham actually intends to use moreopen source and not less

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Nov 30, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    "Last week, the press (and Slashdot) reported that Birmingham City
    Council had decided to ditch its open source project because a report
    said its trial had cost £100,000 more than it would have cost to buy
    Windows. However, Techworld has discovered that the opposite is true,
    and the Council is actually planning to use more open source software as
    well as to roll out Linux in the next few years. The head of IT was
    interviewed and he gives a fascinating rundown of the problems he had
    getting open source working with his systems. More interestingly, he
    points out that now the trial is over and he and his staff have the
    technical skills, they expect to save lots of money in future by going
    open source. Oh, and the report's figures were based on the special
    rates that Microsoft gives Councils just to make sure the short-term
    budget look worse — £58 for a Windows license as opposed to the normal
    £100."

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=7459

    "The trial also had other positive results, he claimed, such as
    demonstrating the ease with which Firefox and OpenOffice.org can be
    substituted for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office."

    The articlae has good and bad points raised...however what is
    interesting was that the comparison was apples to oranges. Ie an actual
    desktop trial of Linux v what looks like a theoretical "straightforward"
    XP rollout (ie we dont see what the addon costs are for working around
    snags encountered when doing a "real" XP rollout...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 30, 2006

  2. thingy

    impossible Guest

    Taking a page from the George W. Bush School of FUD, I see -- How to
    Spin a Defeat as a Victory.

    impossible, Dec 1, 2006

  3. You know, it's funny, I've visited a number of news websites in the past
    week or two, and I keep seeing this same ad popping up in several of
    them: "LONDON STOCK EXCHANGE CHOOSES DIMDOWS SERVER OVER LINUX FOR
    RELIABILITY." And inviting me to click to "FIND OUT WHY". Somebody is
    certainly desperate to spin something, all right...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 1, 2006
  4. thingy

    impossible Guest

    Get yourself a decent pop-up blocker. IE6-7 both come with one
    built-in. But thanks for the tip about the London Stock Exchange. You
    can get a more complete report here:

    http://whitepapers.zdnet.com/casest...ows+NT+-+2000+-+2003&sortby=title&docid=81770

    impossible, Dec 1, 2006
  5. The company I work for is in the process of implementing an XP rollout to
    replace a fleet of Wndows2000 disktops.

    There are over 300 applications used across the business, and each
    application used has to be tested to ensure it works on XP, and if
    necessary fixed to be able to work on the new build.

    The current fleet, while there are definitely known issues, at least the
    applications DO work and don't cause confilcts.

    The project to move to WinXP has been in place for 2 years now, and still
    is in the early testing phase.

    When the rollover to XP happens there will be pain.

    There has even been pain simply getting new monitors to work with the
    existing Win2000 desktop builds.

    From my point of view, why would a business move from one platform that
    has caused much pain, to the next version of that platform, knowing that
    it too, along with the version after that, will cause much pain for the
    business?

    Linux is the solution that offers the least long term pain - especially
    for most non-power-user persons.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 1, 2006
  6. LOL!

    "Whitepapers"

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 1, 2006
  7. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    Earl Grey, Dec 1, 2006
  8. thingy

    daemon9 Guest

    Opinion is divided. I and a couple of friends used Linux for about a year
    and decided it was crap. I found Linux software to be generally inferior to
    the equivalent Windows software, it's harder to find drivers, in general
    less user friendly, etc, etc...

    Nevertheless, maybe I'll try it out again in a couple of years.

    d9

    daemon9, Dec 1, 2006
  9. thingy

    impossible Guest

    Got to love those Linux bloggers for trying! The London Stoick
    Exchange upgrades to Windows 2003 Server, not Linux....But no, wait,
    this has nothing to do with LSE preferring Windows over Linux for any
    rational reason like cost or performance, Those fools at LSE were just
    taken in by the Microsoft-HP-Accenture gang...and, well, obviously
    this proves that Linux is better, because...well, Linux bloggers swear
    it is. Greatr stuff! Thank you for that!

    impossible, Dec 1, 2006
  10. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    It means it has nothing to do with linux, they didn't upgrade from linux.
    Microsoft are quite keen on some market share in financial services, its
    traditionally been Solaris and other Unix territory, so using Linux is
    less of a migration.
    The New Zealand Stock Exchange runs on Redhat, so I guess you could say
    that they chose it over Microsoft for some reason.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=55&objectid=3577892
    Many stock exchanges run Linux, NYSE, Chicago, AMEX, Boston but there
    isn't really much net wide PR like that MS spin.

    Earl Grey, Dec 1, 2006
  11. thingy

    Philip Guest

    It's a shame and a pain when fanboys over-hype any product. You used to
    see a lot of it with Macintosh users, though perhaps less now that OS X
    is actually BSD Unix with a padlock, dressed in quite smart drag. I've
    no experience of Windows 2003 Server but I'd like to think on behalf of
    the stockholders in the LSE that they did due diligence and reached the
    conclusion that this offer was the way to go - bearing in mind that any
    major purchase like tbis isn't done at published book price, and that
    hardware and software suppliers may have collaborated to present a
    winning deal. Why shouldn't they?

    I like Linux (Ubuntu 6.10 is the flavor of the week here) and I'm fed up
    with MS Windows and its attempts to tell me what I can do with my
    property on my computer in my home.

    Butu that doesn't mean that millions of people won't like it, want to
    use it and be perfectly happy in the environment of running a major
    product from a major company.

    Horses for courses.

    Philip

    Philip, Dec 1, 2006
  12. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    In this case its Microsoft overhyping this install.
    The ads and press releases are all over the place
    But the speed improvements are over the previous installation, not linux.

    Earl Grey, Dec 2, 2006
  13. thingy

    impossible Guest

    It has *everything* to do with Linux. They didn't upgrade *to* Linux.
    ....and yet LSE isn't using Linux, so that argument pretty much sucks.
    Yes, I'd say that.
    Assuming you're right, then the decdision by LSE to move to Windows
    rather than Linux does seem rather newsworthy, wouldn't you say?

    impossible, Dec 2, 2006
  14. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    No

    Earl Grey, Dec 2, 2006
  15. It's interesting that you should say that, because in my experience of
    using Linux over the last several years the only hardware that I have had
    issues with has been bleeding-edge hardware where the manufacturer hasn't
    provided the community with a driver and the community hadn't yet had a
    chance to provide it's own.

    How many years ago had you last tested a major Linux distro?

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 2, 2006
  16. thingy

    impossible Guest

    I see. Well, maybe just another inconvenient fact for you to deal with
    then. I doubt that LSE cares much whether their decision makes
    headlines -- it's performance they're interested in. Linux was an
    option available to them and they passed on it -- score one for
    Windows..

    impossible, Dec 2, 2006
  17. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    Whatever, the big stock exchanges where the performance is important are
    using *nix. Once Nasdaq completes their acquisition of LSE, it will
    probably use whatever Nasdaq uses, another *nix shop.

    Earl Grey, Dec 2, 2006
  18. thingy

    impossible Guest

    That would be silly, but you can always hope, I suppose.

    impossible, Dec 2, 2006
  19. Newsworthy because it's so unusual?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 2, 2006
  20. Precisely. Seems like they don't have too many cases like this...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 2, 2006