MS does laugh at themselves!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Howard, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    As you probably know, Microsoft has a sort of love-hate relationship with
    the registry. The registry is the configuration database for Windows and
    Windows applications, and many options can only be set by manually changing
    a value in the registry. For example, if you've ever read a Microsoft
    Knowledge Base article, you've likely seen a sentence similar to this:

    "To correct this problem, change the following value in the registry."

    Now that's fine, except that this sentence is invariably followed by a
    disclaimer similar to this one:

    Warning Don't ever change a value in the registry. Ever. We know we just
    told you to do that, but would you jump off a cliff if we told you to? Don't
    ever change a value in the registry. Don't even say the word registry. We
    know a guy once who said the word registry, and three days later he was hit
    by a bus. True story. As a matter of fact, you shouldn't even have a
    registry on your computer. If you suspect that you do have a registry on
    your computer, please call us and a trained professional will be dispatched
    to your office to remove the registry immediately. If you accidentally touch
    the registry, wash your hands with soap and water and call a doctor. Do not
    swallow the registry or get it in your eyes!

    More laughs every minute here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/tools/twkmatic.asp

    Howard, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Howard

    Stuart Guest

    Stuart, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Howard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    To be expected, really.

    Humour is an effective way to protect (what remains of) one's sanity. And
    there is much happening within M$ to stress the mental health:

    * major big-ticket accounts around the world falling domino-style to Linux
    it's not a matter of when the other shoe will drop - it's more like the
    whole shoe-factory

    * worsening reputation due to exposure of chronic, entrenched software
    security weaknesses, and its anticipated effect on the value of people's
    CVs. Major vulns staying unpatched for weeks/months, while the OSS
    community publishes fixes in as little as 24 hours.

    * nagging of conscience, as the company moves to trick the userbase into
    buying OS and app software that incrementally strips their full
    ownership of their PCs

    * an increasing feeling within the M$ community that jobs are no longer
    as secure as during the M$ heyday - the 1990s, and a sense that the
    overall relevance of M$ as a software company has long passed its peak

    Evil Bastard, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Howard

    T.N.O. Guest

    Samn, thats a handy util