    users with a "Recommended Action" of "Ignore"".

    I would not be surprise if MS chose to totaly ignore this spyware in future
    (one reason of many I don't use it).

    D, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Does smack of Jesus stealing from the collection plate doesn't it?

    Smelly old fart in the corner, Jul 5, 2005

  3. D

    Vanguard Guest

    You complain about software that you don't use? Wow, where's that
    encyclopedia-sized set of reports collecting dust these days? Do you
    use Patrick Kolla's Spybot S&D? If so, have you ever bothered to look
    under its settings for Ignored Products to notice that it comes
    configured to ignore CDilla (and New.net and SideStep)? Gee, that must
    mean Patrick is in cohoots with Macrovision. Oh, woe is us.

    Despite it changing from offering a default of Quarantine to now
    offering a default of Ignore, it has always been YOUR choice as to what
    action you want to commit on the detected products. If you don't know
    which action to commit then MSAS is probably beyond you and you
    shouldn't use it and instead have someone else cleanup your computer.
    You could move over the sister code CounterSpy product (Sunbelt bought
    the code from Giant before Microsoft bought Giant). Uh oh, guess you
    don't get CounterSpy for *FREE* but can only get a 15-day trial. Guess
    you'll have to suffer paying for CounterSpy, or use MSAS for free, or
    use something else (which you claim was your choice yet you still
    complain about software that you supposedly don't use).

    Vanguard, Jul 5, 2005
  4. D

    pcbutts1 Guest

    New.net is there by default because it corrupts the Winsock if removed
    incorrectly. Spybot does now fix that corruption. It may be an oversight
    that it is still listed. At any rate it still detects it it just won't
    remove it unless you tell it to.

    pcbutts1, Jul 5, 2005
  5. D

    Vanguard Guest

    Only if it isn't ignored.
    Only if it isn't ignored so YOU get told that it is there.

    Obviously it is easy to simply go into the Ignored Products setting to
    un-ignore the product(s) but that is more work than simply dropping a
    listbox to change Ignore to Quarantine in MSAS. It looks like there are
    lots of doomsayers making predictions without knowing what Microsoft is
    really going to do with Claria's assets.

    Vanguard, Jul 6, 2005
  6. D

    pcbutts1 Guest

    No, it will still detect it but by default it will not be selected for
    removal. You get a warning about it then you can select it and have it
    removed. I remember because I had to fix about 30 boxes that broke after
    spybot was run and new.net was removed. This was before it was added by
    default to the list and before Spybot could fix it. If you notice during the
    installation of Spybot after the first defs update you will see it install
    the LSP fix.

    pcbutts1, Jul 6, 2005