    speeds, but in near future we believe that gigabit speeds.

    Any recommendations about the choice of router?

    Cheers, Lars Christensen

    Lars L. Christensen, Jan 25, 2005

  2. And forgot to mention another requirement... AToM... e.g. ATM over MPLS
    and Ethernet over MPLS.

    Lars L. Christensen, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Lars L. Christensen

    stephen Guest

    both should be OK - my employer is looking at both (but that is someones
    elses problem)

    7603 is basically a Cat 6000 using IOS and maybe using the seriously
    expensive OSC blades. Supervisor 720B or BXLs do a lot of the MPLS
    processing in hardware, which allows you to use Cat blades for LAN ports. We
    only do layer 3 MPLS.

    but given the cost of supervisors vs cards i suggest you may want to use the
    bigger 7606 / 7609 (or Cat 6506 / 6509) chassis - it will let you spread the
    cost of the overhead equipment across more ports.

    A lot of the older PE s in the work network are 7513s, smaller boxes tend to
    7204 / 7206, and the recent boxes are 10000s - big backbones are designed
    for stability rather than using the latest bleeding edge equipment.
    A lot depends on scale rquirements and no of ports. QoS on MPLS eats
    processing throughput on the PE when you use a software driven engine.

    A stable, reliable, supported version of IOS that actually works with all
    the features and hardware you need is another traditional minefield.

    Plan on having a lab environment to test in......

    stephen, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Lars L. Christensen

    Ben Guest

    The 7304 is good, but just make sure it has the switching capacity you
    require.

    Ben, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Lars L. Christensen

    BradReeseCom Guest

    Hi Lars,

    You may wish to investigate Cisco 7300 Series Routers Data Sheets:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps352/products_data_sheets_list.html

    as well as Cisco 7600 Series Routers Data Sheets:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_data_sheets_list.html

    We were offered a Used 7603 only last Monday, January 17th.

    Used 7304 is in good demand too.

    3 different SMARTnet Eligible Cisco Factory Refurbished 7300 Series
    Products are currently available.

    Furthermore, 45 different SMARTnet Eligible Cisco Factory Refurbished
    7600 Series Products are currently available:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-inventory-search.htm

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide