    Is there a effective mp3 or wav to midi converter out there? I download two
    freebies and tried them, but the result did not sound anything like the
    original.

    Zap Eagle, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Zap Eagle

    Harrison Guest

    Why would a midi sound anything like the original mp3 or wave file?

    Harrison, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Zap Eagle

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Zap Eagle
    postulated...
    You do know what a midi file sounds like ?

    The cheapest nastiest tinniest bit of plastic rubbish from Taiwan c1973 ?

    That's what they're supposed to sound like.

    slumpy, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Zap Eagle

    Professor Guest

    The two technologies are very different. Midi is a code based on set
    wavetables of synthesized sound whereas analog audio is a recording of
    actual sounds just like a tape recording and the results are a wave file and
    all an mp3 is, is a compressed wave file. There are some programs that
    attempt to covert wave to midi but the results are very limited in the scope
    of the sound. They are lucky to achieve a single "voice" that is notes of
    one midi bank such as piano. Midis are done through sampling bits of wave
    sounds creating a wavetable. General Midi has 128 set sounds and soundcards
    have these sounds built in like a synthesizer which is what they actually
    are for midi at least, without the keyboard to play them, but you can play
    midi with virtual keyboards such as the neat little program, "Sound
    Sculpture" which is a shareware program that plays all of the midi sounds
    and can be used to compose original midis without a synthesizer, just your
    computer.

    Professor, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Zap Eagle

    Richard Guest

    What part of "no" is not understood?
    MP3 is live recordings of actual sound.
    MIDI is pure digitally created sound and generally does not include voice.
    Thus the DI standing for "Digital Interface".
    That's like wanting to play your cassettes on your CD, it ain't gonna
    happen.

    Richard, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    Thank you, I didn't know the dynamics of a midi file. I had a wav file on
    a webpage and someone emailed me saying I should convert it to save space
    and of course to load faster. I did not have any midi files to compare
    with. Just seen all the so called converters and thought it must be
    possible. From what I have learned here it's not! Thanks again for the
    constructive explanations.

    Zap Eagle, Jan 18, 2004
  7. I think your expectations are too high <G>
    You can't make a Kazoo have the fidelity of a Clarinet.

    Trai' La Trash, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Zap Eagle

    Trinity Guest

    Trinity, Jan 28, 2004