    It seems I need to convert to CDA? But I'd rather the software took
    care of all that stuff.
    Help?

    Frosty, Mar 28, 2007

  2. Frosty

    PeeCee Guest

    "A few thousand gigs" , must have big hard drives then!

    CDA stands for CD Audio which is not a native DVD format.
    As such there is unlikely to be a one button solution.
    Lots of explanation and tools here : http://www.coolutils.com/Formats/CDA

    BTW Are you sure your car stereo play's DVD's

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 28, 2007

  3. Frosty

    Meat Plow Guest

    Unless your auto player plays dvd movies it won't recognize a dvd disc
    no matter what you do to it.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Mar 29, 2007
  4. Frosty

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Yeah - that was going to be my comment too. Different hardware. There are
    DVD players designed for in the car, but even those probably won't do audio
    CDA format. If the player handles MP3 (mine does) then he could burn a
    gazillion MP3s on the disc, and play it that way. See this page:

    http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/dvd/index.html#2

    WhzzKdd, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    Well no. At present it doesn't. But it seems to me that if these discs
    are in the correct format my car won't know *what* the disc says on
    it.
    But I'll read the link, thanx.
    It'd be a damned shame if it won't work tho.

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  6. Frosty

    Meat Plow Guest

    It's the physical specs of the disc, not the content. But you can still
    record a shitload of mp3's on a CDR and be very happy.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Mar 29, 2007
  7. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    Even if, like Cheeze-Whiz says, I burn MP3's to it (assuming my car
    plays MP3's?)

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  8. Frosty

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Only if your existing car stereo plays MP3 files. What brand/model stereo do
    you have?

    WhzzKdd, Mar 29, 2007
  9. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    Well, I'll be moderately happy.
    I'd be very happy the other way, but I guess it's not to be.

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  10. Frosty

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Oh yeah - NICE! I have a Blaupunkt MonteCarlo - cheap, but does a decent
    job. Heck, it's an economy car - I can't see spending a fortune on it.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/BLAMONTEMP34

    And having several hours of music on each CDR beats the heck outa changing
    discs all the time.

    (There ARE in-dash car units that DO read DVD discs, and probably with MP3
    files on them. Out of my league <g>!)

    WhzzKdd, Mar 29, 2007
  11. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    A Sony Drive-S CDX-GT300

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  12. Frosty

    PeeCee Guest

    Frosty

    Looked up the specs for your Sony Drive-S CDX-GT300

    It appears to have a "CD" player not a DVD player, as such it will not read
    'any' DVD, irrespective of the content.
    This is because Lazer can not focus on the narrower data tracks and after
    several seek cycles will assume there is no CD in the drive

    I found this on the Stereo's abilities (the MP3/WMA ability is determined by
    the Stereo's electronics not the CD Drive)
    -----------------------------------
    MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play MP3/WMA files recorded on CD-R and
    CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. Each disc
    should have a maximum of 150 folders and 300 files/folders. During playback,
    the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag information.
    -----------------------------------
    So using Nero Express (CD mode), just add MP3 files to the burn dialog until
    the bar along the bottom reaches 'full', burn it to a CDR. (Remember to
    Untick the "Allow files to be added later.." option to ensure maximum
    compatibility)
    You can also use a CDRW if you wish, just erase it to recycle it.

    How many mp3's on a CD?
    You should get 100+ MP3's, more if you convert to WMA.
    The actual number depends on the bit rate / compression of each MP3/WMA

    Another way to look at it is MP3's are usually 10% of the original, a
    standard CD maxes out at 74 minutes of music, therefore you could squeeze
    740 minutes of MP3 music onto one CD.
    That's over 12 hours of music on one disk.

    Thats a very long trip.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 29, 2007
  13. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    Good info!

    Thanx Paul!
    (I knew about the MP3's but the WMA's are (good) news to me!)

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007