    Subject: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 Test [Western (ISO-8859-15)]
    From: Tomi Häsä
    Date: 1:46
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    (REAL DATE: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 01:46:12 +0200)
    Newsgroups: misc.test

    Subject: Outlook Express 6 Test (MIME, Base 64, Latin 9)
    From: Tomi Häsä
    Date: 1:26
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    (REAL DATE: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:26:37 +0200)
    Newsgroups: misc.test

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?=, Jan 5, 2005

  2. For the above message the Date header is shown as "2:49".

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?=, Jan 5, 2005

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?=

    Moz Champion Guest

    The header is correct, Thunderbird shows just the time for messages
    received today, tomorrow (for the same message) it will show the full
    date and time.

    Moz Champion, Jan 5, 2005
  4. I think Mozilla Thunderbird should show the date as in the _original_
    format in the "Date" header. The current way confuses people, because
    people think Mozilla is broken or the designers don't know anything
    about Usenet, and people have to go to Google Groups or Outlook Express,
    if they want to post all the headers of a message exactly as in the
    original format, like this for the first message of this thread:

    From: Tomi Häsä <>
    Newsgroups: alt.fan.mozilla
    Subject: [Mozilla Thunderbird] Incorrect Date Header For 2005
    Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:49:51 +0200

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.fan.mozilla/msg/e233ac9b0a7021a7?dmode=source
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=&output=gplain

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?=, Jan 5, 2005
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?=

    Arne Guest

    Tomi, I don't know much about Thunderbird, but I still guess you have
    (or can create) a user.js file to your profile folder.

    Put this into the user.js file:

    user_pref("mail.ui.display.dateformat.today", 2);

    This should give you a date and time for *all* messages in mail and
    news, if it works as in Mozilla Suit. The number (2) in the end of the
    string is for the format, and looks like this: 2004-09-14 [time here]
    or in the format your system is set to view date.

    --
    /Arne (Sweden)
    http://web.telia.com/~u97802964/

    The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything and the
    young know everything. (Oscar Wilde)

    Arne, Jan 5, 2005
  6. user.js works in TB exactly as in its Mozilla forebear.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 5, 2005
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?=

    Arne Guest

    Why "forebear"? A forebear is very old and mostly also dead, but the
    Mozilla Suit is very much alive and not that old either. "Parent" is
    more suitable in this case ;)

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Jan 5, 2005
  8. I created the user.js file and added the line you gave to that file.

    Now, for the first message of this thread I see the date in this format:

    5.1.2005 2:49.

    Unfortunately that is not as in the _original_ format of the message:

    Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:49:51 +0200

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?=, Jan 5, 2005
  9. But the time for the above message is shown in this format:

    0:22

    So I guess I didn't do everything right. The user.js file is in root of
    the Mozilla Thunderbird directory. I have Windows 2000.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?=, Jan 5, 2005
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?=

    Chaos Master Guest

    Tomi Häsä stated:
    AFAIK, Thunderbird is showing the time after correcting for the original
    message timezone:

    02:49:51 +0200 after conversion to "Greenwich hour" (+0000) is 00:49.

    Most newsreaders do this, AFAIK.

    (e.g. you posted a message on 00:30 +0200.
    Since I am on GMT - 2 , Brazilian "Summer Time" - daylight savings,
    your message appears for me as being on (00 - (-2-2)) = 4 hours before
    midnight - 20:30, 8:30 PM )

    []s
    --
    Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W

    "People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
    I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
    -- Amy Lee

    Chaos Master, Jan 8, 2005