    http://www.nvu.com/

    Nvu is simply the Mozilla suite Composer module re-done as a standalone
    product (its been added to and enhanced as well)

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 3, 2005

  2. ?? I simply leave TB running in the background, it automatically checks
    for mail, even when I am using Firefox. Its hard to miss the bouncing
    icon from the dock that tells me new mail is available in Thunderbird,
    no matter what I am doing in Firefox.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 3, 2005

  3. Why not just leave Thunderbird running in the background?
    Then you have indication of mail AND the capilbility to READ it
    available at a moments notice.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 3, 2005
  4. On the mac, its just as simple as leaving Thunderbird running in the
    background. You can even minimize the program to the dock and it STILL
    gives you an indication when new mail has arrived. One mouse swipe, one
    click, and TB is back up with the new mail already downloaded. Heck it
    even works when the computer is in Screensaver mode.

    Why would someone want yet another piece of software to do what the
    program will do for you anyway?

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 3, 2005
  5. Set Firefox as your default browser in the system.
    Then if you click on a url in Thunderbird, it opens Firefox for you.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 3, 2005
  6. Have you thought of having a bookmark to keep track of
    your other bookmarks :)

    [email protected], Dec 3, 2005
  7. Doug Chadduck

    gwtc Guest

    If I combine all my bookmarks, then I would be over the 2 meg mark.
    That is why I've broken them down in smaller pieces. And Moz lets be
    switch between them without a problem.

    gwtc, Dec 3, 2005
  8. Default is set. But only works IF you have a URL in an e-mail in TB.
    Unless I'm completely missing something. If you finish your mail and
    just want to go browse a while then there's that extra 1.85 seconds of
    manual labor.

    Doug Chadduck, Dec 3, 2005
  9. Doug Chadduck

    Jedi Fans Guest

    nps ;D

    Jedi Fans, Dec 3, 2005
  10. If you have the quick launch bar enabled, and place a Firefox shortcut
    there, it is always available, even if TB is open and maximized. From
    here thats every but as effective as having a button to open FF from TB.

    Coving the mouse to the FF icon and clicking it is not even a second.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 3, 2005
  11. Hi Dan, thanks for lending your Mac expertise.

    I did set TB to check messages every five minutes, though i do not want
    it to download immediately.

    After the specified time, I heard the system alert, and a green circle
    appeared on the TB icon in the Dock, telling me there were message, 8 to
    be exact.

    As basic mail notification, this is great. However, Poptray on Windows
    tells me exactly which accounts have mail, and displays subject and
    sender. It allows me to preview the message on the server, without
    downloading it. It also allows me to delete obviously unwanted messages,
    and to run custom filters to delete unwanted messages before I am even
    bothered with them.

    What I would really like to find would this extended functionality for
    Macs and Linux computers.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 4, 2005
  12. Doug Chadduck

    Charani Guest

    Thank you :))

    Charani, Dec 4, 2005
  13. Hmmm, okay, that goes beyond mere notification. What you want is
    something that notifies you, allows you to view on server (preview) and
    delete prior to downloading as well. Lets see what we can find...

    Hmmm, a seperate program called Mail Beacon does all that, tho its not
    an 'add-on' for Thunderbird or Mozilla specifically
    http://www.bainsware.com/mb/
    shareware, not freeware.

    Mail Call perhaps?
    http://www.ekimsw.com/mailcall/index.html
    again shareware, not freeware

    Mail Siphon?
    http://maliasoft.appeule.com/us/mailsiphon.html
    more shareware, not freeware
    Mail Watcher
    http://maliasoft.appeule.com/us/mailwatcher.html
    shareware
    Mail Toolbox (combination of Mail Siphon & Mail Watcher)
    http://maliasoft.appeule.com/us/mailtoolbox.html
    shareware again

    PopFile?
    http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
    free!
    but is an afterdownload application, not a pre-download as you
    requested, indication may not be as you wished either
    PopMonitor?
    http://www.vechtwijk.nl/dev/popmonitor/
    shareware

    Basic reviews and links to all the above can be found at
    http://www.macorchard.com/email/
    The macorchard site is a handy tool/site for finding out whats available
    mac wise. Cant help you with Linux applications/extensions tho

    I cant find a direct equivelent of Poptray for Windows, but combinations
    of the above may do the job. As noted, most are shareware tho

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 7, 2005
  14. The Mac system gives you one
    Apple-->Recent Applications-->Firefox
    <POOF> Firefox is opened
    But thats a mac thing and not really applicable to windows I suppose

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 7, 2005
  15. Thanks Dan!

    You should give me Mac lessons!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 7, 2005
  16. Its good to ask the right people! ;)

    Mail Beacon looks like a winner, from the description. At a $15
    license, I think I can handle that, particularly with a 30 day free
    trial to make sure it works as advertised.

    I'm saving your post in case I need to investigate other options.

    One of the few drawbacks I find to the Mac is the lack of the kinds of
    freeware I can find for a PC. I guess I'm too fond of mooching!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 7, 2005
  17. As I said, its about choice. What is important to you may not be as
    important to the next person, just as what is important to them may not
    appear to you in the same fashion.

    Personally I find the bookmark folders available in Firefox quite
    sufficient for my needs, giving me ample space to group bookmarks
    together for various activities. Of course your experience may be
    otherwise. The beauty of the products is that they accommadate either,
    dependent on which you choose.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 7, 2005
  18. Doug Chadduck

    Garbage Guest

    The linked page is slightly out if date.

    I just installed latest FF, TB & Seamonkey 1.0 & I would say the
    Seamonkey is functionally virtually identical to FF+TB but uses less ram
    & contains chat, html editor, calendar as well.

    Some folks prefer FF+TB as separate apps & some prefer the 'suite'.

    Download & try them out & decide for yourself, either is good.

    * BTW many plugins for FF work fine in SM also.

    Garbage, Feb 12, 2006
  19. Doug Chadduck

    Garbage Guest

    btw how does Nvu 1.0 compare to Composer in Seamonkey?

    One thing I notice is that nvu is a huge 6729kb download whereas the
    whole seamonkey suite (including composer etc) compares favorably to the
    combined file sizes of FF & TB alone.

    Garbage, Feb 12, 2006
  20. Doug Chadduck

    gwtc Guest

    NVU is a separate application and picks up where Composer left off.
    Its got more bells and whistles. Its rumoured that they might
    intergrate NVU into SM and replace Composer

    gwtc, Feb 12, 2006