    disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any suggestions?
    TIA

    Johan

    Johan, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Johan

    dantu Guest

    Johan

    If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be of
    more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be tested to see
    if its a unique problem or not.

    dantu, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Johan

    Johan Guest

    Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
    Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
    testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account ;-)
    You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me out
    without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
    www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links on
    the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that the
    site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be expected. I
    just think it's strange that it works in one version of Mozilla and not
    in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA

    Johan

    Johan, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Johan

    dantu Guest

    Johan

    Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see <g>.
    Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it will be
    almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a site issue,
    or a page issue, or a version issue.

    Use of builds under development may occasion problems like
    this, simply because the site in question is very specific about browser
    identification. i.e. if there browser detect is limited to Mozilla 1.5
    or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they adjust their sniffer.
    For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to one
    page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page if you are
    using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for use as of yet.
    If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should be
    able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I wouldnt
    expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment, simply because
    1.6 is not in release yet.

    dantu, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Johan

    Johan Guest

    Dantu
    I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any advice
    without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that it should
    work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they responded that it
    should work when I adjusted some settings in Mozilla. I should disable
    disk cache so that the page is not loaded from my own harddisk, but from
    the server. I adjusted these settings but it doesn't work. It stopped
    working when I switched from 1.4 to 1.5a. The sniffer correctly
    identified my browser as Mozilla 1.5 and now 1.6 so that shouldn't be a
    problem. I also tried to trick the sniffer to let it think that my
    browser is IE but that didn't work either.
    Johan

    Johan, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Johan

    dantu Guest

    Johan

    But its not important what the page 'recognizes' your browser
    as... as for identification, all it does is repeat the UA string back at
    you, so of course it correctly identifies your browser.
    What IS important is what their specific browser sniffer
    coding says... if IT has not been updated to 'accept' 1.6, it wont.

    You say the problem first occurred when you switched from
    1.4 to 1.5a... again, 1.5a was NOT a 'release' version, it was a
    development version. Many websites, especially financial ones, will NOT
    accept any other versions other than the ones they have 'vetted', and
    they wont vet (or test for security with their system) anything else
    than 'release' versions.

    If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites,
    then I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the stable
    releases (and there may be some time lag between release and acceptance
    anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or 1.4.1, depending on
    the site in question.

    For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if you
    back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a or 1.7,
    then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply change the
    UA string
    For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98;
    nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208

    see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from working
    with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the site would
    probably work, proving its not the program, but the browser sniffer in use.

    dantu, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Johan

    Johan Guest

    Dantu
    I switched back to 1.4.1 and made an clean install and now it works
    fine. Thanks al lot for your time and help!
    Johan

    Johan, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Johan

    dantu Guest

    Johan

    I'm willing to bet that if you went to 1.6 and changed the UA
    string to read the same as 1.4.1, then it would work as well.

    dantu, Jan 9, 2004
  9. Johan

    Johan Guest

    It's worth a try, but how do I change the string?

    Johan, Jan 9, 2004
  10. Johan

    Johan Guest

    I installed 1.6b again and now it's working like a charm. Don't know why
    but I think it has to do with an extension I installed earlier. (for
    tabbedbrowsing) Well thanks a lot anyway.
    Johan

    Johan, Jan 9, 2004