  1. OK, how do I _completely_ remove Mozilla from my machine so I can
    reinstall it and hopefully make it work again? And how do I save all
    the Bookmarks, links, contacts, etc for the reinstall?

    William W. Plummer, Aug 19, 2004

  2. William W. Plummer

    Andreas Guest

    Before you remove Moz completely, create a new profile and test it out.
    See if your problem still continues.

    Otherwise, if you really want to remove it, then you can use Windows
    Add/Remove program from your Control Panel. Or when you reinstall Moz
    will ask you if you want to remove the old settings. Say Yes.

    Your bookmarks, links, contacts, etc, are stored within your profile.
    When you uninstall these will NOT be touched.

    Andreas

    Andreas, Aug 19, 2004

  3. I have a feeling that there is something about my profile that is
    causing my problems. That's why I want to COMPLETELY remove Mozilla,
    including profiles. But I want to tuck away my good stuff first so I
    can load it in after I get Mozilla working again.

    William W. Plummer, Aug 19, 2004
  4. William W. Plummer

    Andreas Guest

    If that's the case then create a new profile and test it out. If you
    want more info about profiles, then read this. Don't worry about it
    saying Netscape. Netscape and Moz are related.
    http://ilias.ca/netscape/profilefaq/

    Andreas

    Andreas, Aug 19, 2004
  5. William W. Plummer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    Which is it? You want to completely remove "Mozilla", or you want to
    save your profile, and delete everything else?

    Regardless, if you think there is something wrong with your profile,
    then try creating a new one. The program and profile are separate. If
    you still do not believe in this, the simply remove Mozilla through
    Windows Add/Remove and select the option to remove _all_ settings.

    I'm glad I don't have such bad luck using Mozilla ;-) What are you guys
    all doing to destroy your copies? (Again ;-))

    --
    Cheers...

    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    .BRIAN., Aug 19, 2004
  6. My troubles began when I did something that cause Win2kP to change all
    Windows-level profiles to "roaming". So C:\Documents and
    Settings\User1 became C:\Documents and Settings\User1.Machine1 .
    Windows was nice, and copied all of the original profile to the new,
    roaming profile. So there should have been no difference in operation.
    Understanding this, I deleted the old profiles (without the machine tag).

    However, apparently Mozilla stores absolute path names to the profiles
    in the registry. When it goes looking for profiles in ...User1 it
    cant find them. They are now in User1.Machine1.

    Ahha, said I, and copied the Local App\Mozilla part of the old profiles
    into the new profile. The screwy file names might be a problem but...

    Anyway, mail and news work. Browser just doesn't come up. It's
    probably choking on something during initialization, but I would hope
    that it would issue a readable complaint about exactly what is going wrong.

    William W. Plummer, Aug 19, 2004
  7. William W. Plummer

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Read the release notes for your version (see
    http://www.mozilla.org/releases/) to find your profile and what the
    files within are.
    Move the safe files you want to keep to another directory (as your
    desktop) and then
    uninstall the program, and remove your profiles and the other moz* files
    from your computer.

    You can move the files back later.

    In other words, RTM.

    Keith Bowes, Aug 19, 2004
  8. That a great response. First, I didn't know a manual exists. Second,
    I didn't know the URL for it. Third, my *browser doesn't work*.

    William W. Plummer, Aug 19, 2004