    progress disappears from the status bar.

    How do I get the email download progress to constantly display either in
    the status bar or even in another pop-up type window (ala OE)?

    Reverend Darkness, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Reverend Darkness

    Moz Champion Guest

    If you are in an email account, then the status bar should keep updating
    as it 'counts down' the mail being received. It will change
    momentarily as it indicates the status of the current account (no new
    mail or some such or whatever the current status is) then switch back to
    the other account in the status bar.

    How often do you have the mail checks being done, on the account in
    question? Setting a short time limit (say under 5 minutes) would result
    in a second check being initiated before the first one is complete.
    Since the account is 'busy' you may see nothing in the status bar
    because it is indicating the second check, even tho the first is still
    underway. Suggestion, ensure that mail checks are at least 5 minutes
    apart, and do NOT start a manual 'get mail' on the account before a
    previous one is completed. Short mail check times, with multiple
    accounts could also result in not enough time to default back to the
    progress status.

    Moz Champion, Aug 26, 2004

  3. I do understand that the status of the current account is supposed to be
    shown in the status bar, and it should do so no matter how short a time
    limit I have set. The problem as I see it is that the status for every
    account is shown in the same place. If there is a problem with any of
    the accounts, there is no way of knowing unless I have my email for
    manually checking only, which is, quite frankly, inadequate.

    Has any thought been put into making a connection status pop-up or even
    more verbose status descriptions for those of us who have multiple
    accounts that are checked every couple of minutes? I cannot be the only
    one having this problem...

    Reverend Darkness, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Reverend Darkness

    Moz Champion Guest

    You shouldnt have short mail check times. Check times under 5 minutes
    can lead to all sorts of problems as one check is not completed (if
    there is a lot of mail to be downloaded for example) on one account
    prior to the next check on that account occurriing.

    There is no real advantage to fast mail check times in essence. Most
    mail boxes are of suffiecient size to hold hundreds if not thousands of
    emails before reaching their limit. As long as you check before the box
    fills up, the mail will be there.

    If you didnt check all your accounts every couple of minutes you wouldnt
    be having the problem <g>. Slow down <g>, the mail waits for you when
    your computer is off or even when you take a coffee break doesnt it? <g>

    The status bar indicates in one place, if you space your mail check
    times out, say 2 minutes apart on different accounts (e.g. 5, 7, 9, 11
    minutes for 4 accounts) the only time they all try to use the same
    status box is on startup.

    I dont personally see a requirement for what you wish, even tho I have
    no less than 9 mail accounts on this profile, but thats just me. If you
    are particularly interested in such a feature then I invite you to post
    about it in
    sto garner how much support there is for such
    If there is enough support for the issue, you would then submit a
    Request For Enhancement on Bugzilla
    There are already several other 'bugs' in Bugzilla with reference to
    status bar issues. One of them may contain the enhancement you wish.

    Moz Champion, Aug 30, 2004
  5. -------------------------------------------------
    I'm a Web and Network admin for a small company. I am notified by email
    if there is a problem with my network, my website, my online store...
    I never thought that in 2004, when time is money (especially uptime),
    I would be told that I'm checking my email too often.

    Reverend Darkness, Sep 19, 2004
  6. Reverend Darkness

    Moz Champion Guest

    So checking your mail at 2 minute intervals, rather than 5 minute
    intervals really does anything? You mean you are at your desk every
    single minute? Does it matter if the mail is waiting on your computer or
    on the server, its still waiting for you.

    Again, whats the difference between having your computer download the
    mail every 2 minutes or every 5 minutes? Are you going to be sitting
    there just waiting for it, or are you doing something else? Do you read
    all your mail within 3 minutes of downloading it?

    Really? Being realistic is not part of doing business?
    You are advised by mail that a problem exists
    you work to solve that problem
    in the meantime another message comes in about another problem
    It sits on the server and then sits on your computer, but since you are
    busy resolving the first issue, you cant read it immediately. So where's
    the problem of checking at 5 minute intervals vice 2?

    since you are not going to be there to READ the message every two
    minutes, whats the problem if the mail waits on the server or on your
    computer?

    Moz Champion, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Just tell the guy to go and talk to his ISP and ask them what the
    appropriate time interval should be.

    Andreas

    Panjandrum -- http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/P0044700.html

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 21, 2004
  8. I think we've gotten away from the issue. I inquired about a more
    descriptive mail download status. You said that I was checking my mail
    to often. I said that was an inadequate answer.

    Is there a better way to display the mail download status in Mozilla
    1.7.3? If not, simply say no. Do not begin to presume that you can
    understand how, why, and when I check my email.

    Reverend Darkness, Sep 22, 2004
  9. Reverend Darkness

    Moz Champion Guest

    I informed you of how the mail check works, and the reasoning behind
    such, along with insight on how to make it meaningful.

    'better' is an evaluation for personal choice.

    Moz Champion, Sep 22, 2004
  10. So... you either don't know or don't care, as you still refuse to answer
    the question in a straightforward method considering you already know
    the criteria by which I base "inadequate" and "better" since I had
    stated those criteria in previous communications.

    I just figured that since this had been reported as a bug for as long as
    it has and since so many other people are looking for a "better" display
    of the email download status than the current "inadequate" method, that
    someone would have a freakin clue...

    Obviously, I have been looking in the wrong place and bid you adieu, sir.

    Reverend Darkness, Sep 25, 2004
  11. Reverend Darkness

    Moz Champion Guest

    I answered your question. It doesnt work in the manner you want.

    You asked the question, you have your answer. The fact that the answere
    doesnt suit you is not within my purview

    Moz Champion, Sep 28, 2004
  12. Reverend Darkness

    Charles Guest

    You asked the question, you have your answer. The fact that the answere
    Grow up, loser.

    Charles, Oct 4, 2004