    IE, and outlook express. If I do that am I still vulnerable to security
    problems in IE or only when I use it. Or do I need to totally uninstall
    those programs? tx

    lbbss, Aug 16, 2004

  2. lbbss

    °Mike° Guest

    You can't totally uninstall IE, and vulnerabilities are
    only vulnerabilities when the software is being used.

    One think I notice, is that your version of Outlook
    Express is WAY out of date:

    I suspect that your IE and possibly even operating
    system is similarly 'unpatched'. You should visit Windows
    Update and also install the cumulative patches for
    IE and OE, then you should be safe from (known)
    vulnerabilities.

    Windows Update
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Cumulative updates:

    Internet Explorer
    July 2004 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (867801)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-025.mspx

    Outlook Express (1)
    July 2004, Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (823353)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-018.mspx

    (1) will bring your OE up to version:

    °Mike°, Aug 16, 2004

  3. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I tried these download but could not find one for win 2k pro. The page
    you listed has xp but not win 2k.
    Microsoft web site very confusion, when trying to find something.
    As far as I know I don't have servise pack 1 for ms outlook or ie 6.

    lbbss, Aug 16, 2004
  4. lbbss

    °Mike° Guest

    It is there, on the page, in black and white:

    "Affected Software:
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Microsoft Windows 2000
    Service Pack 3, Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4"

    If you don't have Service Pack 1 for OE/IE then download
    the correct package. Try reading the pages again.

    °Mike°, Aug 16, 2004
  5. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I tried " Microsoft Outlook Express 6: Download the Update" but it gives me
    a message that it is only for xp.

    then I tried "Microsoft Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1: Download the
    Update"
    but It tells me that I don't have service pack 1 installed yet. So by
    the looks of it, the only
    way to get the update is by getting windows service packs. That the very
    thing I did not
    want to do.

    lbbss, Aug 16, 2004
  6. lbbss

    °Mike° Guest

    And you are complaining about security vulnerabilities?
    Sheesh!

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:34:19 -0400, in
    <ON8Uc.4904$%>
    lbbss scrawled:

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Aug 16, 2004
  7. They're not mutally exclusive. Mozilla wont care if you have IE. IE
    shouldnt care you have Mozilla. Installing Mozilla doesnt make IE more
    secure.

    Personally, I dont use mozilla to be more secure. I just use mozilla
    because I like mozilla more than IE (when I use windows). Mozilla has
    a nice popup blocker built right in. Blocking popups in IE is alot
    more work. (for me atleast)

    Timothy Timbrook, Aug 17, 2004