Mozilla and JPEGs

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by James, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. James

    James Guest

    I just downloaded Mozilla 1.4, and notice that it is being utterly
    stupid about opening JPEGs.

    First of all, if you have a JPEG on a web page, it displays just find.

    So, you'd think if you opened up a URL to content-type JPEG, it would
    display it...BUT NO!!

    It comes up with a dialog saying it doesn't know how to open the file,
    and prompts you how you want to open it.

    IT GETS BETTER!!

    There's a checkbox at the bottom of this dialog that says "don't ask
    me again". IT DON'T WORK!!!!

    That nuisance dialog keeps coming back every stinking time even though
    I uncheck the box so it won't ask me again.

    Better yet, the link to the JPEG is set up as "open in a new browser
    window" i.e. - target="_base". So not only do you get grief in the
    form of a moronic dialog, but you also get new browser windows
    sprouting up over and over and over again.

    Anybody know how to fix this???

    -J

    James, Jul 5, 2003

  2. James

    Gunther Guest

    It all works fine on my system, moz daily build 1.5a-0704 on WinXP.

    Gunther, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Wow; at least I don't have _that_. It requests of me instructions
    for .zip file disposition at least once per session. I'd like to know,
    too.

    Derald Martin, Jul 6, 2003
  4. James

    Brian Fairey Guest

    Yes go back to 1.0.2 thats what I did and everything has worked fine since.
    Brian.

    Brian Fairey, Jul 6, 2003
  5. James

    Serengeti Guest

    I've heard it happens when your server sends incorrect content type to
    Mozilla. Mozilla doesn't recognize file types by their extensions but it
    trusts the information sent by a web server. It may seem strange but
    it's the way recommended by W3C.
    So I think you should contact the administrator of the web page you're
    experiencing problems with and ask them to fix their server's configuration.

    Cheers,
    Serengeti

    Serengeti, Jul 7, 2003