Mozilla 5.0 and MIME types

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Darden, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. Darden

    Darden Guest

    I use Mozilla 5.0 as my web browser. My web site is hosted at a remote
    location. The host produces a daily log file, an "extended format" log
    file that looks like text. Each day, my web site's log file is
    archived in a compressed format I cannot process, but for many months,
    I have, through my web hosting services user interface, called their
    "Control Panel", been displaying a directory of my web site's log
    files. Every day. a new log file is created. With all my earlier log
    files, I could just click on their name, and see an online text
    display of the file's contents.

    My log file today is named "access.log.37.2". Is there embedded in the
    file a flag which says this, even though a ".2" file, is actually a
    text file? If I click on its file name when I am using Mozilla 5.0, I
    am prompted for an application's name to open it. Using IE6 or Firefox
    0.8 as my browser, the file is displayed online with what looks like
    Notepad.

    Thus, it seems, Firefox 0.8 and IE6 both "know" this ".2" file is
    really a text file, and use Notepad to display it, but Mozilla 5.0
    doesn't know how to handle it, so I am asked to specify an application
    to open it.

    My questions are these:

    1) Is there a flag of some type in a file which says it's a text file
    regardless of the extension?. My son, a PC geek, says a file contains
    a "MIME" type which signals it's a text file. Is this correct? If so,
    it's a file attribute unknown to me.

    2) If a file does have a "MIME" type it seems this particular file's
    "MIME" type is recognized by Firefox 0.8 and IE6.0, but not by Mozilla
    5.0 .Is there a fix? I hope so because I sure hate to change browsers.

    --------------------------------------

    No one ever went broke
    underestimating the
    intelligence of the
    American people.

    H.L. Mencken

    Darden, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Moz should have no problems in opening text files within the Moz browser
    itself. You don't need any other program. But if it does, then you may
    have to help it a little by creating a Helper. In Moz, you would look
    under Edit, Preferences, Navigator, Helper Applications. Click on New
    Type, in the Mine Type put in the following:

    application/octet-stream (txt)

    For Extension, you may have to work with this. Start with txt and if
    that doesn't work, then try .2

    Then Open It with and locate the program you want it to open with. In
    this case you would Point to Mozilla. If it doesn't work, then point it
    to NotePad.

    If none of this works, then look in FireFox for something similar to the
    above, and copy the settings from there in to Moz.

    Andreas

    The Grande Panjandrum Andreas, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Darden

    Himm Guest

    when did mozilla 5.0 come out?

    Himm, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Darden

    Guest Guest

    Mozilla 5.0? IIRC, Mozilla 1.7.3 was released this week. Perhaps you got
    mixed up with Sun renaming J2SE 1.5 to J2SE 5.0 .

    At any rate, Mozilla will obey the MIME type sent by the web server. If
    opening a local file, Mozilla will try to figure out MIME type based on a
    "magic number" and file extension.

    La'ie Techie

    Guest, Sep 17, 2004
  6. Darden

    --BRIAN-- Guest

    They are referring to:

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040903

    --BRIAN--, Sep 17, 2004