    intents the same. Am I missing something here?

    many thanks
    Colin

    Colin `, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Yes, but when the uninitiated say Netscape, they often mean Netscape
    Communicator, version 4.x. A couple of years ago, most people made sure
    that their pages worked in IE and NC4, and that was good enough. Some
    people still think that way.

    Unfortunately, Mozilla, while it is the basis for the Netscape 6-7
    browsers, is a completely different product then NC4. They share no
    coding in common, so a page that works in NC4 will not necessarily work
    in Moz. A page the will work in NS7 will almost always work in Moz.

    Since they say they support Netscape, you might try writing them back,
    saying that the page will not function in NS 7.1, and note that you are
    soncidering moving your business elswhere.

    They will probably write back with a suggestion to "upgrade" to NC4.79,
    but who knows, maybe you will find a sympathetic ear.

    If this fails, a tech evangelism bug may be in order, here is some
    information:

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/site/about.html

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Well, interesting, I went to smile.co.uk, and their Netscape download
    link goes to NS7.1.

    Since I don't have an account with them, I can't test to be sure whether
    or not it does work in NS7.1. Do you happen to have it loaded on your
    system?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Well I thought of a test. I tried to apply for an account, just to see
    if the form would work. I could input numbers in IE6, Netscape 4.8, and
    Opera 7.2. As you reported, numbers could not be entered in Mozilla
    1.6, Mozilla/Firebird 0.7 or Netscape 7.1. Spoofing the UA had no effect.

    I suggest writing them, and pointing out that their page does not work
    in Netscape 7.1, despite their link to download that browser. Maybe
    that will get them moving.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Colin `

    Colin ` Guest

    Thanks Lee, I've just emailed them. I'll report the outcome here.

    Colin

    Colin `, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Colin `

    Colin ` Guest

    Smile help desk came good - site does work with Mozilla or Netscape 7.1
    but you have to move about the forme with the tab key. It does work.

    Also Smile are preparing a new Home Page which will be friendly to all
    the main browsers - Mozilla, Opera etc. It will be ready in Jan.

    Thanks to all
    Colin

    Colin `, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Great to here, thanks for getting back to us Colin!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 16, 2003