moving "my documents and settings\user\local settings\temp"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FredHead, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    I setup XP on a 10 gigabyte partition.

    I installed most of my applications into the next partition.

    Some applications I run, create huge TEMP/TMP files into the
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\TEMP/TMP
    folders, thereby filling up the partition with the XP
    installation.

    I've tried changing the environment variables to use an
    adjacent partition, but apparently I'm not formatting it
    correctly.

    I've searched MKB, but the articles I can find relating to
    this don't speak of the syntax used to do this.

    I tried changing from this:
    to this:
    after creating that directory, [E:\TEMP], which is on the
    adjacent partition, and some applications would not start,
    others reported memory read errors etc., when I tried to use
    them.

    I tried to un-install an application which when I tried to
    start, caused numerous errors. My thinking was that if I
    reinstall it after
    changing this variable it would work, but because of making
    this variable change I couldn't even do this.

    Can someone help me out with how to change where these apps
    create their temp files please?

    fredhead

    FredHead, Jan 14, 2007

  2. FredHead

    jimmycricket Guest

    %userprofile% holds the path to your c:\documents and
    settings\YOURNAME\..... so xp is looking at c:\documents and
    settings\yourname\......e:\temp

    You would have to change this to just read e:\tempfile without the
    %userprofile%\ part

    jimmycricket, Jan 14, 2007

  3. Right click on "My Computer", select "Properties", select "Advanced", select
    "Environment Variables", make the changes as required in BOTH windows

    GreenieLeBrun, Jan 14, 2007
  4. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    Thank you so much my friend! I am so eternally grateful, it
    worked!

    fredhead

    FredHead, Jan 14, 2007
  5. Why don't you just use a cleaning program like CrapCleaner once a day
    to get rid of them.(you can find a link to it on my pages)

    max
    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages:

    What's in a Name?, Jan 14, 2007
  6. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    Well...I may have spoken a little too soon. Actually, my
    apps are pretty much doing as they should, but my Windows
    installation directory is still filling up! Here is what
    my "environment variables," windows look like;

    User variables for [name]
    -------------------------
    E:\TEMP
    E:\TMP
    -------------------------

    System Variables
    -------------------------
    I changed TEMP locations from;
    %SystemRoot%\C:Windows\temp
    to simply
    E:\TEMP
    -------------------------

    Hopefully this will correct it. Hope Windows will actually
    start so I can report!

    FredHead, Jan 14, 2007
  7. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    Well dammit, that didn't work either......!

    FredHead, Jan 15, 2007
  8. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    One major reason is because my applications don't finish
    their work before the partition is filled up. And of course
    when the offending app is quit, the temp files it creates go
    poof! anyway. Right now, until I can find a solution,
    I'm using Acronis disk director to increase the free space
    on the partition I need it on. That should work for now.

    fredhead

    FredHead, Jan 15, 2007
  9. FredHead

    Senti Guest

    I have never run XP in an partition larger than 10GB and have never had
    the problem you are having. What apps are you running that are filling
    up your XP partition? You may want to check and see if there is a way
    to change the temp file location from within the app(s) you're using.

    I believe Photoshop, as an example, defaults to placing the scratch disk
    in your Documents & Settings folder (though I may be misremembering).

    Senti, Jan 16, 2007
  10. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    Mozy. Though their support pages mention this problem, they
    are inaccurate in demonstrating how to fix it. They did
    email me about what to do however, and we got it done. If
    anyone here needs to know, I can post that info.

    Thankyou,
    fredhead

    FredHead, Jan 17, 2007
  11. FredHead

    Senti Guest

    Definitely post the fix here. That way if someone else with the same
    problem runs across this thread, they'll see how you fixed it. :)

    Senti, Jan 17, 2007
  12. FredHead

    FredHead Guest

    Essentially this is it, I'll precede my own [added]
    notations with an [*]
    * I also changed the variables in the "system variables," to
    reflect the same TEMP/TMP locations I used according to the
    instructions 1-6. I've seen no problem due to that.
    The following, is what they left out on their support pages
    where it does mention the first 6 steps.
    * on my machine "local system account"
    * Again, I think they were incomplete here, because I also
    had to check the "allow to interact with desktop" box.

    fredhead

    FredHead, Jan 17, 2007