MOving from LEAP to PEAP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sarbjit Singh Gill, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Greetings folks,

    I need to justify a move to PEAP from LEAP.

    One of the problems i had with LEAP (in this case using LEAP and Cisco's
    ACS is 3.2.1.as RADIUS ):
    I have two AD domans in a trust. Let's say domain Europe(is in Europe
    geogrpahically) and domain Asia.(is in Asia geogrpahically)

    A user from Europe travels to Asia. Now he/she could connect their laptop to
    the wired-LAN in Asia domain and logon to their Europe domain due the the
    trust that exists. This logon/authentication happens with 10-15 seconds.

    But if the user does the same, but with a wi-fi enabled laptop, and is using
    Cisco LEAP, and CISCO's ACS for authentication, it take up a very long time
    to logon. It even time outs 4 out 10 times.

    Now we are looking into PEAP. Would PEAP solve this problem ? Anybody
    encountered this?

    Also if the user's password expires at the AD, the LEAP solution does not
    prompt the user about password expired. Would PEAP solve this too ?

    Many thanks in advance

    Kind Regards
    Gill

    Sarbjit Singh Gill, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Yes and yes. LEAP isn't really integrated into the Windows logon process,
    whereas PEAP is completely integrated.

    Steve Riley

    Steve Riley [MSFT], Dec 13, 2004

  3. Thank You Steve.