Moving from color region with large DVD collection options

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Cat Herder, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Cat Herder

    Cat Herder Guest

    Hi group,

    I am moving from Europe (Pal 625lines 50hz) to Brazil (Pal-M/Ntsc 525
    60Hz), with a large collection of DVD's, I am contemplating buying a
    code free DVD player/HD Recorder before leaving and short of taking a TV
    that I would only use for those DVD's this Decoder is the only option I
    found that seemed to do what I want, connecting it between the European
    Disc/Player and the Brazilian Pal-m/Ntsc TV:

    http://tinyurl.com/znnb5

    Is it my only option? Does anybody knows how good and if they work?

    Maybe there is some hope with the new "Living Room" Pc's? Or some "Do it
    all" Multi region/color system DVD player out there?

    Thanks for any help..

    Chris

    Cat Herder, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Cat Herder

    Steve Guest

    As has been stated here many times, cheap DVD players will play one
    standard and output to another. DVD information is stored digitally,
    so it's just simply up to how the "bits" are read upon playback. A
    standards convertor will add far more artifacts than simply using a
    Player for cross-standards playback. NTSC is no problem, there is
    nothing that suports conversion to Brazil's weird and horrible
    525-PAL.

    .. Steve ..

    Steve, Feb 28, 2006

  3. Cat Herder

    Cat Herder Guest

    Thanks,

    Please note that I had searched the archives prior to posting, maybe my
    queries where off..

    I tried playing back the DVD's on a cheap Code free DVD acquired in
    Brazil and Ntsc TV and no matter where the system select was all I got
    was a B&W image..

    I always thought that color system wouldn't matter much on the DVD
    world, my computer with RPC1 unlocked drive happily plays whatever I
    throw at him..

    I'm doing a search for Player for cross-standards playback and will
    bring it for a test before the actual move, thanks.

    Chris

    Cat Herder, Feb 28, 2006
  4. Sorry Steve, but that's really not true. DVD may be digital, but the
    information on them is still fundamentally stored at one of the two
    world standards - 720 x 576 @ 25fps or 720 x 480 @ 30fps.

    DVD players which can take a disc of one format and output it at the
    other format simply have a standards conversion chip built into them.
    It's rather unfair to state that a standalone converter will add more
    artefacts than one built into a DVD player, especially as a standalone
    converter is likely to contain more sophisticated conversion hardware
    than the single chip version built into a budget DVD player.

    Nonetheless, the simplest solution is probably going to be the
    'one-box' one - ie a budget player with built in converter, although
    it may not offer the best quality.

    The *best* solution is to buy a multi-standard TV in Brazil, if such a
    thing is available. That would allow him to view each disc in its
    native standard, just as most of us here in the UK do...

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

    Steve Roberts, Feb 28, 2006
  5. Cat Herder

    Steve Guest

    Yes of course, I was just simplifying things for the OP. The fact is
    that the first stage of a standards convertor is to convert to digital
    data, which is then resampled and stored and whatever else is needed.
    A DVD has done the first stage of "converting" to digital data. An
    external convertor means taking the analog outputs, converting that to
    digital, then rescaiong, then turning back to analog. There are
    something like three extra A/D conversions counting the one in the
    player.
    Thye chip in a DVD player is truly not a "convertor." But players vary
    in how well they resample the DVD.
    Brazil PAL is not NTSC with a reversing colour burst,which would be
    good, but European PAL forced into a 60/525 scan rate, meaning
    non-standard colour burst frequencies. The OP is best off with an
    NTSC set for DVDs.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, Mar 1, 2006
  6. Cat Herder

    Cat Herder Guest

    Thanks for the help guys, yes, the cheap multi system players are going
    to be the cheapest easiest option. I looked at multi system TV's in
    Brazil but as far as I can tell these step into the expensive LCD tv
    realm..

    LiteOn was a brand of player I found here in Europe that seemed to have
    a healthy list of TV systems: NTSC-M, PAL-B/G, PAL-D/K, PAL-I/I, or
    SECAM-L/L

    It's a recorder so I still don't know what it would make of the
    Brazilian Pal-m signal while recording, but I understand there are
    options like digital top boxes, etc..

    Chris

    Cat Herder, Mar 1, 2006