Movies that stayed with you a long time

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Opticreep, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    Once in a while, I'd watch a poignant movie that would stay with me
    long after the lights come up. It would stay with me for days, and it
    may even linger for weeks.

    "The Godfather" did that to me, and so did "Godfather part II".
    "Platoon" and "Glory" were the same way (even though the latter had
    more than its share of flaws). "Memento" and more recently, "Lost in
    Translation" had the same effect on me.

    Some movies come close. "American History X", "Saving Private Ryan",
    "28 Days Later", "Crouching Tiger", and "A.I." come to mind. And as
    much as I really, really hate to admit it... "Titanic" stayed in my
    mind for a short while. And I went to that movie with flamethrowers
    drawn and ready to flame, too.

    I much prefer these kinds of movies than all the crap coming out of
    hollywood these days. Even good "crap" that garner a bunch of rave
    reviews. A lot of movies these days make me feel as though I have
    Alzheimer's Disease. I walk in, watch the movie, enjoy a little bit,
    and 3 days later I wouldn't be able to recall a thing about the movie
    if you held a gun to my head. "Spiderman", "Hulk", "Insomnia", "We
    Were Soldiers", "Ocean's 11", "Matrix", and about a hundred other
    films I allegedly saw whose titles I don't even remember.

    Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
    time?

    Anyway

    Opticreep, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Opticreep

    Dapper Dan Guest

    dONNIE Darko
    Jacobs ladder

    Dapper Dan, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Opticreep

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Among new movies, check out "Thirteen". That one is going to stay with me
    for a long time.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Opticreep

    Doc Shock Guest

    Eraserhead. (I still haven't decided if it was "good" or not, but it sure
    stuck with me.)

    A Clockwork Orange

    Doc Shock, Apr 7, 2004
  5. Opticreep

    Rob Guest

    "Memento"

    Rob, Apr 7, 2004
  6. Opticreep

    Stan Brown Guest

    Antonia's Line
    Love and Death on Long Island
    Dark City
    Babette's Feast

    Stan Brown, Apr 7, 2004
  7. Opticreep

    Eric R. Guest

    Most recently, there have been three:

    Session 9
    Memento
    Happiness

    -Eric

    Eric R., Apr 7, 2004
  8. Opticreep

    Wild Coyote Guest

    The Best Years of Our Lives
    Blue Velvet
    Dangerous Liaisons
    North by Northwest
    Grand Prix
    The President's Analyst
    LA Confidential

    These movies came to mind in that order. I would have to say a whole
    bunch of BBC TV productions and lately what cable is producing tend to
    stick much more then the movies coming out now. Good topic.

    Wild Coyote, Apr 7, 2004
  9. Opticreep

    Johnnyboy Guest

    Spaceballs :)

    Johnnyboy, Apr 7, 2004
  10. "The Midnight Express"

    "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"

    "Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis"

    "Arlington Road"

    "12 Angry Men" (Henry Fonda version)

    "Psycho"

    "The Right Stuff"

    "Changing Lanes"

    "Stardust Memories"

    "Play it again, Sam"

    "The French Connection"

    and "Airplane!" :p

    Many more, but I'll stop here. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 8, 2004
  11. "My Neighbor Totoro" completely changed my life after I saw its North American
    theatrical release in 1993 or 94.

    I'm slowly discovering the works of Lars Von Trier, and he keeps on holding me
    in awe each time

    Vlvetmorning98, Apr 8, 2004
  12. Opticreep

    Trevor S Guest

    (Opticreep) wrote in

    In no particular order:

    Full Metal Jacket
    Dead Man Walking
    American History X
    Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Donnie Darko
    Angela's Ashs

    for different reasons:
    Stargate

    and for the wrong reasons

    A Clockwork Orange, I expected a cinematic marvel and it's still the only
    movie I could never finish watching, I thought it that bad.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Apr 8, 2004
  13. Opticreep

    Frohike Guest

    The Empire Strikes Back
    Seven Samurai
    Alien
    The Road Warrior
    SE7EN
    Vertigo

    Frohike, Apr 8, 2004
  14. Opticreep

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: (Opticreep)
    Date: Wed, Apr 7, 2004 3:48 AM

[...]

    AnywayFunny Girl
    The Sea Hawk
    The Quiet Man
    San Antonio
    Cat Ballou
    Lawrence of Arabia
    I Married a Witch

    FredBillie, Apr 8, 2004
  15. Opticreep

    HappyHunter Guest

    Lots of movies have stayed with me over the years, but the most recent
    one was a couple of years ago - Gangster Number One. I think it was
    down to both Paul Bettany's performance, the performance of the
    low-life thief who Gangster threatens in his own kitchen, and of the
    enemy crim boss (little bloke with glasses) - who was just electric.

    Shame about the ending, though.

    HappyHunter, Apr 8, 2004
  16. Opticreep

    Eric Guest

    <<Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
    time? >>

    I don't want to admit it, but "The Passion of the Christ" has stayed
    with me since I watched it about four weeks ago. Not saying that I
    agree with everything in the movie or believe that way, but some of
    those images of violence have haunted me since.

    Eric

    Eric, Apr 8, 2004
  17. Opticreep

    Paul Guest

    Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
    House of Sand and Fog
    Session 9
    The Pianist

    Paul, Apr 9, 2004
  18. Along a similar line, I suppose, 'The Last Temptation Of Christ' really
    surprised me. As did Dafoe. (I've not seen Passion...)

    Frank Malczewski, Apr 9, 2004
  19. What about bad (or so-so movies)? For me it would have to be Krull.
    Probably because it was one of the first movies I saw on cable when we
    got it and I think it was on every day for about 3 months straight.

    LVIII

    Lord Vader III, Apr 10, 2004
  20. Opticreep

    The Artist Guest