    download but alas - I have no idea how to download them so I can launch my
    movie player? Then I have run into something called y-enc??

    HELP>>??

    King Barton, Nov 3, 2003

  2. King Barton

    Boomer Guest

    Hi
    Google.com is a good search engine. :)

    Check your Help file for 'combine and decode' and you can read up on
    yEnc at www.yenc.org.

    I would also suggest is to use a news client that will do the work for
    you. Such as Agent, Xnews etc. Search Google for news readers.

    Hope this helps

    Boomer, Nov 3, 2003

  3. King Barton

    Ionizer Guest

    Lots of helpful info here: http://www.slyck.com/ng.php and, (it's an mp3
    binaries newsgroup faq but much of the info applies) here:
    http://www.mp3-faq.org/faq1.html

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Nov 3, 2003
  4. King Barton

    °Mike° Guest

    Courtesy of gangle:
    --------------------------

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    yEnc is a type of binary to text encoding that has much
    less "overhead" than Uuencoded files.
    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    RAR files are (usually) large multimedia type of files (.avi, .mpg,
    ..mov, .rm, etc.) that have been archived and split into
    parts. You need WinRar to reassemble the archive and
    decompress it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).

    °Mike°, Nov 3, 2003