Mouse Scrolling Wheel

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Todd, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Todd

    Todd Guest

    I just got a new Logitech Wheel Mouse (Model M-BJ58) to replace a
    Logitech Wheel Mouse (Model M-BD58).

    The problem is that the new mouse works great other than the scrolling
    wheel. I can not scroll with it. I have installed the drivers,
    uninstalled the drivers, installed them again, installed the drivers off
    the Logitech website, and followed the instructions provided by
    Logitech. Nothing worked. Link goes to those instructions.

    http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com...2NudD05NiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

    The wheel DOES work as a button. If I push it, it brings up the up/down
    arrows so I can scroll like that. I want it to work correctly however.

    Also of note is that if I plug my old mouse back in, the scroll wheel
    works fine.

    If anybody has any clue what could be happening here I'd appreciate any
    tips.

    Todd, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Todd

    Plato Guest

    Odd, did you boot to safe mode and remove all instances of mice there
    and then try the new mouse after the reboot and then the driver install?

    Plato, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Todd

    Todd Guest

    Would I want to install driver in safe mode or install in normal mode
    after removing drivers in safe?

    Todd, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Todd

    chuckie® Guest

    Check in Control Panel>Mouse>Button tab, make sure the scroll wheel is set
    to 'Autoscroll' and not to something else (there's a whole list of things
    that thing can do) like 'Universal Scroll' or other...luck...

    chuckie®, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Todd

    Pikan Guest

    By default the logitech mouse drivers set that button to something
    other than autoscroll I think - have had a similar problem myself.

    I just fiddled with the properties of the buttons till it did the thing
    I wanted.

    If that doesnt work you can try this ***AT YOU OWN RISK** ** FOR THE
    MORE ADVANCED USER**

    The go to regedit (regedt32 if in win2k)

    click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    then click on SYSTEM
    then CURRENT CONTROL SET
    then ENUM
    then go though there and expand everything - you will see the name of
    the device on the right hand side when you click on a device.

    This may take some time as I am not sure what it will be listed as.
    These are all the vendor keys for the various devices for your system

    For instance for your USB hub controller - you click on USB then
    USB_HUB then you click on the item that has all the numbers and
    characters - mine is here

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1c187cf9&0

    this part here (4&1c187cf9&0 ) is the vendor key for my USB HUB

    when I click on the 4&1c187cf9&0 bit - one the right hand side it
    tells me what that thing is.

    So now you know how to find a key - find the one that relates to your
    mouse.

    then right click on the key and go to permissions.

    Give everyone full controll. click apply.
    then delete the key.

    then (and this is the important part) go to

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\enum

    find the key in there that relates to your mouse (it will be in the
    same spot as before in CurrentControlSet) - change the permissions and
    delete it from here.

    then do the same for ControlSet002

    This is how windows remembers what the device is. If you delete these
    keys - windows cant rely on old information it has on the "new
    hardware" it detects and so has to start the hardware installation from
    scratch.

    make sure you have exhausted all possiblity that it isnt just some
    setting in the driver before you try this as its a pretty long and
    drastic step for such a simple sounding problem.

    Pikan, Mar 2, 2005
  6. Todd

    Barry Guest

    It is very possible that the mouse could be bad,,,

    Barry, Mar 2, 2005
  7. Todd

    Plato Guest

    Remove in safe, install in normal.