mouse click on scroll button repositions text cursor all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dan glenn, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. dan glenn

    dan glenn Guest

    After a recent Windows update (I have WinXP Home) I noticed that all of a
    sudden two things are happening that did not happen before, and both are
    VERY aggravating. These have to do with my email client (Outlook Express 6)
    and IE6 browser, but may be happening elsewhere as well:

    1. A click with the mouse on the vertical scroll button (or just anywhere in
    the 'track' that the vertical scroll button slides on for that matter) will
    immediately reposition the text cursor to the end of the line adjacent to
    the mouse-click. EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING, as I often want to scroll up or down
    many lines to just review something, then instantly return to where the
    mouse cursor was by hitting a right or left arrow key. But now the text
    cursor winds up wherever I scroll to!

    2. In my Browser (and it seems in a lot of other applications as well),
    clicking with mouse above or below the vertical scroll button, which is
    supposed to just scroll slightly less than one full page, is now scrolling a
    lot more than that, like sometimes as much as 2-3 pages, thus skipping much
    in the process. Again, VERY AGGRAVATING!

    Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix? I'm always up-to-date on
    latest Windows code (that was where the problem came from, I'm sure). Is
    there some registry setting that can fix this???

    -dg

    dan glenn, Dec 14, 2003

  2. dan glenn

    °Mike° Guest

    If you have the 824145 Internet Explorer update installed,
    there is a bug in it that breaks the scroll in I.E. I wasn't
    aware that it affected Windows XP, but it may do.

    The only way (that I know of) to overcome this, is to uninstall
    that update, but that would leave you vulnerable to the
    security issues that the update addresses. Apparently, MS
    are aware of the problem.

    A work-around, if you have a three button scroll mouse, is
    to depress the middle button until you get the scroll arrow,
    and use the mouse to scroll.

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2003

  3. dan glenn

    dan glenn Guest

    That was it, °Mike° - thanks. I do have a scroll wheel on my mouse, but
    having to middle-click, drag to scroll, and middle-click again just to view
    another portion of an email I am working on, just to keep the text cursor
    from moving in the process, is a bit too much. I'm not that scared of the
    fact that my computer, out of 10's of millions of computers on the net at
    any one time, is vulnerable for certain security issues, and will wait until
    M$ get's a fix for the security that does not break the scroll as well.

    thanks again,
    -dg

    dan glenn, Dec 15, 2003
  4. dan glenn