    explain this extremley basically for me, as ive not used linux before,
    id be extremley grateful

    MikeD

    MikeD, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Never used this distro, but from a quick look at the support docs it looks
    as if this should work automagically if you login as "root" rather than as
    "guest" - is this what you are doing? When the drive is connected do you
    see any kind of icon relating to it on the desktop?

    Richard Parkin, Nov 15, 2006

  3. MikeD

    Gordon Guest

    PCLinuxOS 0.93 found my external Firewire HDD straight from the live CD, as
    did (K)Ubuntu - you /shouldn't/ have to do anything......

    Gordon, Nov 15, 2006
  4. MikeD

    MikeD Guest

    Ah right, i shall log in as root, but, on this i need to use the
    bittorrent to downlaod a file and put it onto the harddrive, is this
    possible through the root user?
    MikeD

    MikeD, Nov 15, 2006
  5. MikeD

    Cicero Guest

    ===============================
    It may depend on the motherboard to some extent. One of my computers (
    Asus based) won't boot with the external USB drive switched on. Another
    (MSI based) boots quite happily with the USB drive switched on. Both
    recognise the external drive automatically if it's switched on after
    booting is complete.

    I think there was a thread here a few days ago which suggested that the
    USB drivers may not be in place early enough on some MBs to allow
    recognition of an external USB drive.

    Cic.

    Cicero, Nov 15, 2006
  6. MikeD

    MikeD Guest

    Thanks for all help, a friend helped me mount the drive and it works
    fine. Thanks for all suggestions, help and time
    MikeD

    MikeD, Nov 15, 2006