Motorola VT2442 behind another router

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Andy Lord, May 1, 2007.

  1. Andy Lord

    Andy Lord Guest

    I spent SIX HOURS last night trying to set up a (Vonage) Motorola
    VT2442 behind a Fritzbox 7050. What an absolute nightmare.

    I assumed it would be just a matter of switching off the DHCP server
    and connecting the WAN port on the Motorola to the LAN port on the
    Fritz. Logical right?

    No, the final solution involved connecting a LAN port on the Motorola
    to the LAN port on the Fritz and then connecting the WAN port on the
    Motorola to another LAN port on the same router. I don't claim to be a
    network expert (far from it) but WTF is that all about? It's giving me
    a headache trying to work out why it works, but it does.

    I'm posting this so that anybody else who gets stuck in the same
    situation might have more luck than I did googling for a solution.

    I finally found it by searching for VT2442 "as a switch" which came up
    with: http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic19026.html

    I hope this helps someone else.

    Andy Lord, May 1, 2007