Motherboard or DRAM error?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitefort, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. Whitefort

    Whitefort

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    I recently built my first PC. When I turn it on, instead of the usual short beep I've had with other PCs, I get one long beep of about 5 seconds, followed by another shorter on. My manual says this indicates 'DRAM error'.

    However, the machine goes through POST with no apparent problems, and has been running perfectly for weeks in spite of the double beep.

    In short, can I safely ignore this, or is something major likely to go wrong if I don't track down the problem and fix it? And I have to admit, I don't have the first clue how to go about tracking it down, let alone fixing it. I did run a memory check program, and it didn't find any errors. But every morning, I still get that 'BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEp beep!'

    Oh, and only after the PC has been turned off for an extended time. If I turn it off for a few minutes, then on again, I don't get the long beep.

    Any advice will be gratefully received!

    John

    Whitefort, Nov 7, 2006