Motherboard loss of power problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mobius, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    I've had a problem for a few weeks now, may have been different but is now
    similar (only fixable).

    My girlfriend & I were just sitting by the computer after she tried hooking
    up a USB device, then the computer shut off (this was a few minutes after
    the device was unplugged, it had been in use at her home just before this so
    we know it was working at one time). I shut off the power supply, opened
    the side pannel, confirmed everything was connected tightly & nothing loose,
    but wasn't able to power it back up. Nothing we did could get it back on.

    I tested the power supply with a power suppy tester & it worked (case fans
    all came on). However, motherboar still didn't power up (no fans, no
    activity at all).

    I replaced the motherboard & that worked. However, I still have this "power
    off & not able to get power back on" ocasionally. What I do is I shut off
    power supply, push in on the AGP card (pressing it further into the AGP slot
    to make sure its tight), press the RAM into the slots further, sometimes
    have to adjust the wires inside but not always (my motherboard power supply
    connection runs right down between the 2 RAM sticks), & most often I press
    on or apply preasure to the board using the CPU heatsink/fan=not much force
    anywhere but as if pressing a card into the slot.

    Then I turn on the power supply & then the power button works.

    This happened a few times (every few hours) the first night, a few times the
    next day, then waited about 36 hrs before doing it again & then again after
    72 hours.

    I am not sure what causes this, or what causes my fix, other than a possible
    short/grounding in the case?

    My troubleshooting thoughts are,
    * If it were the video card, wouldn't the board power up at least?
    * If it were the RAM then wouldn't the board power up & beep?
    * If it were the power supply, why does it work the rest of the time &
    without me doing anything to it always?
    * If it were the CPU, wouldn't the board power on but nothing happen?

    Any ideas?

    The board seems held into place just fine.

    Mobius, Mar 20, 2006

  2. Mobius

    NBN Guest

    I had to use a screw driver to install heatsink and fan on my cpu on the
    motherboard. doing so, damaged internal circuit in motherboard and ASUS
    found it out and never gave me replacement.

    NBN, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    In this situation, it is a clip on type of heatsink, so no tools needed.
    Also did that kill the board permanently or just on ocasion cause a problem?
    I've used it a week & most of the time when its just sitting there is when
    it powers off & has this issue. I can't recall a time it was in use (even
    the original time when I ended up replacing the board, I was actually
    opening a pack of DVD+R disks at the time).

    Mobius, Mar 20, 2006
  4. You might consider swapping in a new power supply. It is interesting that
    this shutting off happened with both the old and new motherboards. That
    suggests to me that the problem isn't on the motherboard (connections and
    such) per se.

    Tom Hesley

    Thomas J. Hesley, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    This happened again tonight. This time I had bumped the case door with my
    knee (the door that closes over the drive bays, I have to keep it open
    because closing it sometimes causes this bump & shuts off the system).

    I had to lay the system down on its side this time to get it back on (board
    side down)...then CAREFULLY set it back up right.

    Mobius, Mar 22, 2006