    I see that the Canon s3 varies wildly in price from different merchants.
    From $289-$500+(US). Who are the more trusted merchants to deal with?

    SJ, Sep 3, 2006

  2. SJ

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    I've bought from B & H, Adorama and Amazon with no problems.

    Gadi

    Gadi Ben-Avi, Sep 3, 2006

  3. SJ

    sally Guest

    Try costco.com

    sally, Sep 3, 2006
  4. SJ

    cjcampbell Guest

    Anybody who is selling for much less than B&H, Adorama, or Amazon is
    suspect. In general, if a deal looks too good to be true, it is.

    cjcampbell, Sep 3, 2006
  5. Does this mean the S3 is available at different levels of
    quality/construction? I thought Canon were more reliable than that. Do they
    sell sunstandards?

    Dennis Pogson, Sep 3, 2006
  6. SJ

    Don Wiss Guest

    You can buy from a reliable dealer and pay a lot less than B&H and Adorama.
    Looking now at shopping.com I see reliable dealers for $363 and up. None of
    them from Brooklyn. As a general rule you do not want to buy from a
    Brooklyn dealer. And you do not want to buy from anyone selling this camera
    for less than $363*, as you will end up in a bait-and-switch situation.

    * That is with free shipping. I see another in the same family as that has
    it for $356 + $12.79 shipping.

    Also be aware that many of the price comparison sites are shams set up by
    the Brooklyn camera dealers.

    Don Wiss, Sep 3, 2006
  7. SJ

    LabRat Guest

    No, the only difference is the honesty of the retailer. I would suggest
    visiting resellerratings.com before making any purchase to see how other
    consumers rated their dealings with a particular online merchant. Other
    than the popular "bait and switch" scam, unscrupulous dealers may try to
    sell you the accessories included in the box as seperate items (and at a
    very high price) or insist that you buy overpriced additional items or the
    camera will suddenly be out-of-stock. Personally, I have had good
    experiences with buydig.com (2 dSLRs and a lens), bhphotovideo (several
    lenses, filters, etc..) and amazon.com. One note about buydig.com, there is
    a copycat site called ibuydig.com that is a scam.

    LabRat, Sep 3, 2006
  8. SJ

    PTravel Guest

    PTravel, Sep 3, 2006
  9. SJ

    PTravel Guest

    It means, if you don't by from B&H or Adorama, you may get gray market, an
    incomplete package (batteries, cases, other accessories left out and sold
    separately), you may get gouged on shipping, you may not get the camera at
    all unless you buy overpriced accessories, you may get an open
    box/return/defective camera, or you may not get anything at all.

    PTravel, Sep 3, 2006
  10. SJ

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    If you want to know if a retailer is reliable/trustworthy, look up his
    rating at http://www.resellerratings.com. I'll generally trust anyone
    with a rating of 7 or above.

    --
    Gate's Law: Every eighteen months, the speed of software halves.

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z anl

    Mueen Nawaz, Sep 3, 2006
  11. SJ

    minnesotti Guest

    If this is a general rule and public knows about it, then why do
    Brooklyn dealers still exist ? This means there is enough of simpletons
    who buy from the Brooklyn dealers. And they have no need to move out
    from Brooklyn to the other "unsuspicious" places...

    minnesotti, Sep 3, 2006
  12. SJ

    Don Wiss Guest

    Most of the public does not know this. Most of the public does not frequent
    newsgroups, web-based forums, or know about resellerratings.com.
    I don't quite follow the last sentence. A couple of honest dealers in
    Brooklyn have recently moved out of Brooklyn to NJ. One didn't sell retail.
    The other possibly moved to shake the stigma of being in Brooklyn. Or maybe
    they needed a bigger warehouse. They are the Central Digital family, and
    their web sites show up as the lowest price on shopping.com.

    Don Wiss, Sep 3, 2006
  13. SJ

    cjcampbell Guest

    Canon does not, but they may not honor a warranty on a gray market
    camera. The cut-rate retailers take essential things out of the box,
    like the batteries and the battery charger, and then try to sell them
    to you separately at an exorbitant price. They also deal extensively in
    returned items, broken boxes, items with shipping damage, used items,
    and sometimes they just play the Nigerian scam -- once they have your
    money they promise they will send you a camera if you just send them a
    little more for shipping or buy another accessory at double the MSRP.
    The camera never materializes and next thing you know they have gone
    out of business and re-opened under another name. There have been cases
    where several web camera dealers were found to be in fact the same guy
    operating out of a storefront -- he simply appeared to be about half a
    dozen different businesses.

    cjcampbell, Sep 5, 2006
  14. SJ

    bruin70 Guest

    b&h used = very good
    b&h ebay = not as dependable on descriptions.

    i bought an fz30 on ebay "demo". maybe demo, but it was definitely used
    FIRST, as there were MANY scratches and scuffs from a camera strap.
    this was not divulged. accessories were missing, as one may expect from
    a demo. b&h however, gave me complimentary replacements, but only after
    i made them aware of it. camera works great as one would expect from
    b&h, but as i said, be careful about descriptions from ebay items.

    bruin70, Sep 5, 2006