Most reliable DVD player?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by leguerri, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. leguerri

    leguerri Guest

    Hello all,
    I have bought a JVC DVD player 4 months ago that gave me nightmares because:
    - Randomly froze while reading MP3 and DVD
    - After freezing, need to pull off power from wall outlet, and wait
    several minutes to play back again.
    - Player not always accept remote keystrokes (have to press twice, etc...)
    - Sometimes disc spins on and on, and player returns "Cannot read this
    disc" after 2-3 minute wait. However the disc is good because it already
    read successfully before.
    - My discs are always clean and scratch-free (as much care as my LPs!)

    Now, after 2 unsuccessful repairs, I've been able to convince my dealer to
    take it back, and let me choose another one. I'd like to know which
    brand/model is the most reliable in terms of:

    - reliable read over time, no freezing or skipping
    - read computer-made DVDs (like DVD+R or DVD+RW,...)
    - read .MP3s or DVDs for hours w/o freezing
    - read .MP3s from subdirectories
    - respond well to remote

    I'm not an expert on DVDs, and don't know everything about it, but I've
    been quite unhappy with that JVC which was my first unit ever. Did I unluckily
    got a bad unit? This was a "slim line" unit. Are standard size units (thicker
    drawers) more reliable?

    Thanks for any directions. I don't want to buy another bad unit.

    Louis-Luc

    leguerri, Aug 17, 2004

  2. leguerri

    Bill in Co. Guest

    I think you got a bad unit, and should have had it replaced, not "fixed",
    especially if it's an intermittent problem, which are bears to fix. But
    maybe you had it longer than the normal 30 day return period? I have a JVC
    unit which has been working pretty well for me, but it's not the slimline.
    On some very rare occasions I have had a disc reading problem/lockup, but
    it's very infrequent, and this is a relatively old unit.

    Bill in Co., Aug 18, 2004

  3. I wnet to Radio sahck and bought a Cyberhome CH-DVD 300. Have been
    very pleased wih it.The price is right. Check it out!

    Matteo Ungots, Aug 18, 2004
  4. I have bought a JVC DVD player 4 months ago that gave me nightmares
    Sony, Panasonic, JVC, or Pioneer. Any other brand is not worth it because they
    are either too cheap to be reliable or too expensive for what you get.

    Sorry to hear of your bad luck with your JVC. They are usually very good
    players. You might have picked up a lemon, so do consider giving the brand a
    second chance.

    What surprised me was that you didn't just get a flat-out exchange when you
    started to have problems. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Aug 18, 2004
  5. leguerri

    Black Locust Guest

    Well, they did invent VHSuck afterall. Not everything that comes out of
    that company is good. :)

    Black Locust, Aug 18, 2004
  6. leguerri

    Kenny Guest

    I can tell you that some of the ones to keep away from are Roadstar, Alba
    and Goodmans. They are identical inside and use cheap capacitors which leak
    and cause a power supply burnup, not economically repairable.

    Kenny, Aug 18, 2004
  7. And be prepared to chuck it out six months later.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Well, they did invent VHSuck afterall. Not everything that comes out of
    JVC makes some good stuff. Right now, I'd buy their current 27 inch I'Art over
    a Sony Trinitron Vega of the same size because of the easier implementation of
    the 16:9 mode. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Aug 18, 2004
  9. leguerri

    Kenny Guest

    Meant to add Bush to that list.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 18, 2004
  10. leguerri

    Beaumon Guest

    I'm on my 4th DVD player since 1998. Having had much the same
    problems as you have with the first 3, I determined to go out and buy
    what I termed a "ten year player." Something that would stand up to
    several hours of daily use for 10 years. After doing much research,
    including hours of reading online and hands on fun at the local
    high-end home theatre store (not by any means a big box retailer), I
    settled on the Denon 2900. Absolutely fantastic player. Only had one
    disc it would not play, and that was a heavily abused netflix rental.
    The remote is ergonomically excellent, and all features have proven to
    be easy to use. Also plays SACD's and DVD-Audio, both of which are
    fantastic formats. It was a little pricey at $1000 list, but they
    knocked 10% off without much trouble. I've enjoyed it immensely every
    day I've owned it, and so the price was not an issue. Spent plenty of
    money over the years on crap that sucked.

    If you're wondering, the 2nd best player I've owned was an Apex 1100
    that WalMart practically gave away. The remote and menus were a
    non-english-speaking ergonomic mess, but it proved a reliable beast.
    Sold it for $20 when I bought the Denon, and the guy I sold it to is
    still using it. Opposite end of the scale, but an interesting
    comparison.

    -beaumon

    Beaumon, Aug 20, 2004
  12. Well I must say my new Liteon 5001 Recorder is my best DVD player
    plays every disc I put in it. it's a good recorder also...

    Gary Colligan, Aug 20, 2004
  13. leguerri

    jpeabody Guest

    I bought a Toshiba in February, 1999, and have had virtually no
    problems with it. I can't recall the exact model at the moment (1200,
    2000, 2100? some number with 0, 1, and 2 in it), but I think I've only
    ever had one DVD it wouldn't play (which was a rental, so it might've
    been a defective disc). I think once I had it freeze on a layer
    change, but FF'ing through it cured it. Compatibility problems seem
    to have died down, but a few years ago this group was rife with posts
    about this disc or that disc not playing in this player or that
    player, you have to get a replacement from the movie company, you have
    to get new software from the DVD player company, etc. I never had any
    of those problems with my Tosh. However, I cannot play CD-Rs in it,
    nor can I play any type of VCD/bootleg/home-burnt disc. This isn't a
    real concern for me, though it might be for some people. If/when this
    player ever goes, I'll be sad, but also shopping first for another
    Toshiba, and I always recommend those to people who ask.

    jpeabody, Aug 20, 2004
  14. leguerri

    dvdguy2 Guest

    Also keep away from any cyberhome products.

    They freeze up even more than your jvc does.

    along with SEVERAL other problems.

    dvdguy2, Aug 21, 2004
  15. leguerri

    dw Guest

    Take a Panasonic. Has the ability to play DVD-RAM which few if any others
    do.

    dw, Aug 22, 2004
  16. leguerri

    Scott Evans Guest

    Careful...not ALL Panasonics do RAM.

    Scott Evans, Aug 23, 2004
  17. leguerri

    Puffinjohn Guest

    surely because these DVD players are so cheap you wouldnt bother getting
    them repaired anyway. Great quality for the price in my opinion but not the
    most reliable.

    Puffinjohn, Sep 8, 2004
  18. leguerri

    Eric R. Guest

    I still have my Toshibas from 1997 (2006) and 1999 (2108) too.
    However, you should know that Toshiba has really went to shit in the
    last few years. The last two Toshibas I bought (in 2002 and 2003) both
    died within a year. You can really just look at their models now and
    see how cheaply built they are compared to the solid construction of
    their units before the turn of the millenium.

    I have given up on Toshiba. The last player I bought was a Panasonic.
    If they want me back, they'll have to build a decent model again that
    will last.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 10, 2004
  19. leguerri

    Biz Guest

    This applies to every manufacturer of dvd players, especially all the
    players in the under $200 range. They are all more compact, and lighter,
    not very robust at all. They all get warmer than their predecessors as
    well, which definitely doesnt help their lifespan.
    Unless you are willing to spend the money on players in the $300+ range,
    maybe even $500+, you will probably not see that quality again.

    Biz, Sep 10, 2004
  20. leguerri

    cal Guest

    The first player I bought was a Toshiba. I forget the number
    designation.

    That was in 1998. It had no problems until about 2003 when some discs
    I tried to play, it wouldn't read.

    I'd spent nearly $400 on it in 1998. In 2003 I bought another Toshiba
    which had more features and a much lower price than the first one. It
    cost about $100. I'm hoping to get the same kind of usage as the first
    one. Time will tell, but I certainly was pleased with the first model!

    cal

    cal, Sep 11, 2004