Most confusing email question ever!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brett Dale, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. Brett Dale

    Brett Dale Guest

    I was having trouble with a yahoo email account, I hadnt received any
    emails in a few days, so I set myself up with a hotmail account to
    write a test email to my yahoo account.

    Well of course, being the dumbass that I am, I wrote my yahoo email
    address wrong,(the word kiwi doesnt three "I"s in it.) So naturally,
    the email got sent back to me, at my hotmail account.

    Everything seems to make sense, its just a normal, return to sender,
    no such user email, except for the fact that, a third party email
    address is in the message.

    That email address being ""

    Below is what I received to my hotmail account, after writing a my
    yahoo email address wrong.

    Reporting-MTA: dns;hotmail.com
    Received-From-MTA: dns;mail.hotmail.com
    Arrival-Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:50:06 -0800

    Final-Recipient: rfc822;
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a
    yahoo.co.nz account () [0] -
    mta146.mail.scd.yahoo.com
    d.yahoo.com
    LP
    2.1.5 <>... Recipient ok
    250 2.1.5 <>... Recipient ok

    250-ETRN
    250-RELAY
    250 SIZE 0

    220 have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned.
    which
    220 have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned.
    ions from IP addresses which
    220 have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned.
    il
    220-penalties.
    220-
    220 Thank You For Understanding
    nal and civil

    Brett Dale, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Brett Dale

    Gordon Guest

    So is this a cousin of 404?

    May/can we use it in everyday language?

    Gordon, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Brett Dale

    Mainlander Guest

    Looks like some sort of corruption with part of another message included.

    Mainlander, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Brett Dale

    steve Guest

    hanmail.net are major spammers.

    steve, Nov 22, 2003
  5. Brett Dale

    Brett Dale Guest

    How could they include thier spam message in an email sent to me from hotmail?

    Brett Dale, Nov 22, 2003
  6. Brett Dale

    Shannon Guest

    HTTP isn't the only protocol to use three digit codes. They took the
    idea from SMTP. (Telnet to your ISP's smtp server on port 25 and see
    what you see.)

    220 means "hello, I'm so and so, nice to meet you" in SMTP.

    200 codes are normal codes - they're just part of the conversation.
    HTTP servers actually return "200 OK" as the code on a normal page
    request, followed by the actual page data.

    Shannon, Nov 29, 2003