MOS when transcode G.723.1 to G.729??

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Kant Pimpoh, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Kant Pimpoh

    Kant Pimpoh Guest

    I am in a situation where I must have 1 VoIP gateway receiving speech
    via G.723.1, sending it over an E1 line, and have a second gateway
    asynchronously transcode that back out via G.729a.

    The unfortunate part about all of this is, I need to provide good
    quality service over this circuit. My question is can anyone give me
    some kind of information that the impact of this asynchronous
    transcoding is going to have on a MOS by users.

    Has anyone ever performed this test before?

    Is there anything that can be done to lessen the impact of this
    transcoding stage? Do you think the transcoding will cause a serious
    degredation of quality if I manage the jitter properly on the 2
    different gateway segments?

    Thanks for any information on this.

    Kant

    Kant Pimpoh, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Kant Pimpoh

    shido Guest

    You may want to look at Asterisk for your solution, it transcodes. But
    you'll need to purchase licenses for g.729 $10/port

    (http://www.asterisk.org)

    You may want to send me more details pertaining to your application, use the
    address below.
    --
    Greg Merriweather
    The NuFone Network