    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, Apr 30, 2014

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > So now MSE is popping up scary crimson warnings telling me that, as
    > support for XP has ended that means that MSE on XP is no longer
    > supported!
    > Bastards! I use MSE on systems that I don't want to have to fusk
    > around with (as most free AVs package 3rd party rubbish along with
    > the AV and you have to be *really* dilligent to check every screen
    > during updates as they sneak past you).
    >
    > I understand why MS have EOL-ed XP but MSE is multi-OS - to not
    > suport it if it's on XP seems rather petty (read; greedy) to me.

    Wow! Though I'd just ignore it for now (it's on my little X32 'take out'
    machine) but it's showing the red flag every 15 minutes, interrupting work!

    I like to keep that install light so I might try the W7 install on it again
    rather than mess about with 3rd party software. (I set it up to dual-boot
    with W7 when I pumped it up to 2GB RAM and a 320GB HDD.)

    ~misfit~, Apr 30, 2014

  3. ~misfit~

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 19:43:27 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > So now MSE is popping up scary crimson warnings telling me that, as support
    > for XP has ended that means that MSE on XP is no longer supported!
    >
    > Bastards! I use MSE on systems that I don't want to have to fusk around with
    > (as most free AVs package 3rd party rubbish along with the AV and you have
    > to be *really* dilligent to check every screen during updates as they sneak
    > past you).
    >
    > I understand why MS have EOL-ed XP but MSE is multi-OS - to not suport it if
    > it's on XP seems rather petty (read; greedy) to me.

    Check this discussion out.
    http://superuser.com/questions/7381...-essentials-end-of-life-warning-on-windows-xp
    Caveat: I am not running MSE so I cannot confirm whether any of these fixes work.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Apr 30, 2014
  4. ~misfit~

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Ralph Fox, May 1, 2014
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 19:43:27 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> So now MSE is popping up scary crimson warnings telling me that, as
    >> support for XP has ended that means that MSE on XP is no longer
    >> supported!
    >>
    >> Bastards! I use MSE on systems that I don't want to have to fusk
    >> around with (as most free AVs package 3rd party rubbish along with
    >> the AV and you have to be *really* dilligent to check every screen
    >> during updates as they sneak past you).
    >>
    >> I understand why MS have EOL-ed XP but MSE is multi-OS - to not
    >> suport it if it's on XP seems rather petty (read; greedy) to me.

    > Check this discussion out.
    > http://superuser.com/questions/7381...-essentials-end-of-life-warning-on-windows-xp
    > Caveat: I am not running MSE so I cannot confirm whether any of
    > these fixes work.

    Thanks for that Ralph, much appreciated. I might try that - or resort to
    using Avast!, as I do on my main laptop. It doesn't dance to MS's tune quite
    so strenuously but it does use more resources and have bigger update
    downloads. :-/

    One thing I really like about Avast is I can right-click the icon, select
    "Avast shields mode" and disable for whatever time I want. This is useful as
    it (and most other AVs) flags several of my archived files as false
    positives and delete them without asking if I try to back them up! However
    with shields disabled I can copy that folder off to external media when I
    back up.

    ~misfit~, May 2, 2014