    with Windows 3.1 and related crap. What's happening here????? HELP!!!!!

    Thanks
    Eddie

    edee em, Mar 15, 2007

  2. edee em

    Chris H Guest

    It may be one of two things, Eddie. Open a Command Prompt window (not
    Start/Run) and type in "ipconfig /all" without the quotation marks to make
    sure the computer's IP address is within the normal 192.168.2.xxx range
    which normally resides on a Local Area Network. If it is not within the LAN
    range, then you won't be able to view other members of the workgroup.

    Second, right-click My Computer, select Properties and then go to the
    Computer Name (I'm not on XP right now, but believe that's the correct name)
    tab. Toward the bottom, you should see Workgroup: (workgroupname). That
    name needs to match up with other computers within the network. If it
    doesn't match, use the Change button to insert the right name. Follow that
    with a restart of the system, so it will refresh its settings to your
    router.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H, Mar 15, 2007

  3. edee em

    edee em Guest

    I did the "ipconfig /all" and all I got was a black screen that flashed for
    less than 1 second and it didn't have any writing on it at all.

    The workgroup name thing is something I have beat to death.

    Chris, do you think a reinstall will help or do I just hop over to the
    Linksys site and order a new set of hardware?

    Eddie

    edee em, Mar 16, 2007
  4. edee em

    Chris H Guest

    Chris H, Mar 16, 2007
  5. edee em

    edee em Guest

    edee em, Mar 16, 2007
  6. edee em

    Chris H Guest

    You could do a repair install (if you have an actual XP CD (not an OEM
    version) by following the instructions here:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm However, before doing
    that, have you restarted the router and modem lately? Sometimes when you
    switch things around, because of leases assigned, etc., on the router, you
    need to refresh all the connections.

    If you haven't done it, shut down the PCs, shut down the router by removing
    the power connection on the back, and then shut down the modem. Wait five
    minutes or so, then bring up the modem and let it sync with your ISP. When
    the lights on the modem are solid like they should be, connect the power to
    the router again and let it sync with the modem. Then power up your
    computers.

    Chris H, Mar 17, 2007
  7. edee em

    Scottesh Guest

    what you need to do is click on start then run.
    in the run command dialog box type CMD
    when the terminal screen comes up at the prompt type ipconfig /all
    if you just type ipconfig /all in the run command box all you will see is
    the terminal screen flash real quick.

    Scottesh, Mar 19, 2007
  8. edee em

    Kerry Liles Guest

    If the screen flashed quickly and closed, it is likely you DID do it via
    Start/Run - go back and reread Chris' instructions... hehe.

    Start|Run|cmd
    NOW, type ipconfig /all

    running CMD runs a command interpreter that opens what is often called a
    "dos box" - because it reminds everyone of the old DOS days command line C:\
    prompt etc.

    HTH

    Kerry Liles, Mar 23, 2007