    RAM. What would you need for that ? I guess a 64 bit processor, a main
    board supporting more than 4GB, OS (which one?) and software (which
    one?).

    Alfred Molon, May 15, 2005

  2. Alfred Molon

    [BnH] Guest

    We were asked to give a quote for a box for Quantum computing research
    facility.
    The OS was Win XP 64 bit [just for trial , they have their own OS ], 9GB
    RAM, Quad AMD cpu,
    The board brand is Tyan , you can see them
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/matrix.html

    or if you want out of the box system, just get a Dual PowerG5 with Mac Tiger
    OS.

    =bob=

    [BnH], May 15, 2005

  3. Alfred Molon

    MailingLists Guest

    Probably but the prices would be insane. However, if this is your main
    work, a Dual G5 2.7 Ghz would fit the bill nicely. The G5's toast just
    about everything for bandwidth and processor intensive functions.

    However, IIRC the max RAM on them is only 8GB. Just don't buy your RAM
    from Apple.

    MailingLists, May 15, 2005
  4. Alfred Molon

    Old Bugger Guest

    From memory you need something like memory equivalent to 3 times the file size of the uncompressed image you
    are processing.

    Old Bugger, May 15, 2005
  5. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Not sure, but I suspect it's more than that. At least 4-5 times and
    probably better 6-7 times.

    Alfred Molon, May 15, 2005
  6. Alfred Molon

    leo Guest

    If you want more than 4GB RAM, you need dual AMD Opteron and nForce 4
    Pro chipsets. Nevertheless, you can still add additional 3GB to your
    existing system before considering the big upgrade and they want
    registered memory.

    Asus K8N-DL (12GB max)
    Iwill DK8ES/Tyan Thunder K8WE (16GB max)

    leo, May 15, 2005
  7. Alfred Molon

    Al Dykes Guest

    As I understand it you nede a multi-CPU mobo but you don't need more
    than one CPU to see memory in excess of 3GB. You need a 64 bit OS, of
    course.

    The new Intel 64 bit chips may have different rules.

    Al Dykes, May 15, 2005
  8. Alfred Molon

    Eric Gill Guest

    Easily. But Photoshop won't use most of it. 1.7 GB for up to PSCS, and 3.5
    or so for CS2.

    Eric Gill, May 15, 2005
  9. Alfred Molon

    birdman Guest

    For many PS processes RAM is not the limiting factor. PS is one of the few
    programs that actually maxes out even the fastest CPU with routine image
    manipulations. Dual processor systems, Wintel or Mac, will make only a
    marginal difference with some processes as PS is not written to take full
    advantage of multi-threaded processing. You are very fortunate that your 8
    hour project went to completion with no misplaced bits in memory causing a
    crash. Increasing memory will probably not be worth the investment but that
    is your choice. As a practical matter any cpu intensive process will be
    greatly aided by turning off any and all background processes. Chief among
    these are antivirus and firewall (disconnect from the internet if you are
    afraid of being hacked). All kinds of un-needed background process eat up
    CPU cycles, such as Itunes and Real player processes, antispyware, video
    card applets etc.

    birdman, May 15, 2005
  10. Alfred Molon

    Al Dykes Guest

    ISTM that setting up a stripped RAID pair with a couple of 10krpm
    disks and a SATA PCI controller if necessary. 37GB 10k disks are
    about $120 each and would add 74GB of very fast disk for your swap and
    PS workfiles.

    Al Dykes, May 15, 2005
  11. Alfred Molon

    leo Guest

    There is a 64bit version of "The Panorama Factory 3.4" in beta. Perhaps
    you can try it out and tell us how it works out. ;)

    leo, May 15, 2005
  12. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    What about the Gimp or other software capable of processing multiple-
    layer images with masks ?

    Alfred Molon, May 15, 2005
  13. Alfred Molon

    jean Guest

    A very rich man once said "Who would ever need more than 640kb of RAM?" I
    guess eating crow is part of his diet ;-)

    Jean

    jean, May 15, 2005
  14. Alfred Molon

    Eric Gill Guest

    Haven't the foggiest. I gave up on Gimp as pro software years ago.

    Eric Gill, May 15, 2005
  15. Alfred Molon

    Tom Scales Guest

    Are you sure your application will use it? For example, Photoshop CS won't
    use more than 2GB and Photoshop CS 2 won't use more than 4GB.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 15, 2005
  16. Alfred Molon

    Tom Scales Guest

    I believe the original quote was actually 64KB of ram.

    Tom Scales, May 15, 2005
  17. Alfred Molon

    ASAAR Guest

    Before selecting an app. make sure that the OS you use is capable
    of handling all of the available RAM that you'll need. I recall
    some benchmarks conducted several years ago (secretly sponsored by
    MS) pitting their OS against Linux when used as high end webservers.
    Back then, I believe the max. RAM supported by any version of
    Windows was either 2GB or 4GB (double that of Linux at the time),
    and only 1/2 of that RAM was available for use by applications.
    This should be less of a problem with current versions, especially
    with the 64-bit OS's.

    ASAAR, May 15, 2005
  18. Alfred Molon

    Ron Hunter Guest

    A 64 bit CPU, AMD has a good one, and WinXP Pro 64. You would need a
    fast FSB and fast RAM, and a program compiled to take advantage of the
    64 bit processor, and the ram.

    Ron Hunter, May 15, 2005
  19. Alfred Molon

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Maybe more, for processing panoramas!

    Ron Hunter, May 15, 2005
  20. Alfred Molon

    Eric Gill Guest

    You do not. It is, however, more common to see more RAM slots and
    capacities on multiprocessor boards.
    You do not. PS does not yet use 64-bit addressing.
    They do not.

    Eric Gill, May 15, 2005