More Retailers Report Blu-ray outselling HD-DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by asjbiotek, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. asjbiotek

    asjbiotek Guest

    Well, here's more proof the end for HD-DVD is fast approaching.

    In addition to amazon.com, other sales channels are reporting much
    stronger blu-ray sales, even though HD-DVD got out first in 2006.

    http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6408142

    for online retailer DVDEmpire:

    1. Sales of Blu-ray discs are now stronger than sales of HD-DVD titles.
    For the week including Tuesday, Jan. 16, DVDEmpire.com noted that 57.7%
    of its high-def sales were BD and 42.3% were HD DVD.

    2. there are already more titles in Blu-ray than HD-DVD....Through Jan.
    16, DVDEmpire.com counted 190 HD DVD releases and 203 BD releases.

    And it'll just get worse as more people buy playstation and more
    blu-ray titles come out. Just this week, i already got the recent Ice
    Age 2 in blu-ray (and it's 20th century fox, so NO HD-DVD copy!)

    asjbiotek, Jan 22, 2007

  2. asjbiotek

    asjbiotek Guest

    Btw, the fact that there are already more Blu-ray titles now than HDDVD
    titles even though HDDVD was available much earlier than Blu-ray means
    that the growth rate of Blu-ray disc titles is much much faster than
    the growth of HDDVD, which means this ratio of blu-ray to HDDVD titles
    will get much worse very fast.

    asjbiotek, Jan 22, 2007

  3. asjbiotek

    Jonah Falcon Guest

    Because, you boob, most of the HD-DVD purchases are the $200 drive (over
    100,000 sold, not shipped) which work with the 360 and the PC.

    Go away, loser.

    Jonah Falcon, Jan 22, 2007
  4. asjbiotek

    RMZ Guest

    There's no question, Blu-Ray is the superior format of the two, so I
    hope Blu-Ray wins... Plus I'd like to see the adult film industry take
    a loss, so this would be good news.

    If a scenario plays out where Blu-ray is declared the clear winner and
    it really takes off by mid 2007, this would be an extremely good thing
    for the PS3.....

    RMZ, Jan 22, 2007
  5. asjbiotek

    wadner Guest

    Do you realize how big of an industry the 'adult film industry' is?
    You can bet when porn really starts pumping out the HD DVDs the end
    won't be far for Blu-ray.

    wadner, Jan 22, 2007
  6. asjbiotek

    TheGame Guest

    No question? Well let me ask you, how is BR "superior?

    TheGame, Jan 23, 2007
  7. asjbiotek

    Zackman Guest

    OMFG!!!!! 58% vs. 42%, Blu-ray is TEH CHAMPIONZ!!!!

    You've just illustrated why this war is too close to call, and why average
    consumers want nothing to do with it.
    HOLY SHIT!!! There are 7% more Blu-ray releases! This war is OVER!

    Again, you're illustrating just how deadlocked the two formats are.
    ROFL. Enjoy your talking mammoths.

    -Z-

    Zackman, Jan 23, 2007
  8. And in terms of total disc sales (i.e., including DVD), the two battling
    formats accounted for, what? 1% of total sales?
    Is a boring movie less boring in hi def? I guess you could spend your time
    counting the hairs on the mammoths...

    Kimba W. Lion, Jan 23, 2007
  9. Curious, I shop there all the time and just checked
    and right there on the screen: Blu-Ray 139, HD DVD
    150.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Jan 23, 2007
  10. asjbiotek

    asjbiotek Guest

    You do know the word "trends" right? it's that thing that smart people
    use to project future results.

    a dfference of almost 60:40 in sales now when HDDVD was very clearly
    selling better earlier in 2006 because it came much earlier than BD is
    obviouskly a very clear TREND that BD will soon pass and then overwhelm
    hddvd.

    the fact that there are now more blu-ray titles than hdvdv titles when
    hdvdvd had a very large headstart is another obvious TREND that hd-dvd
    will soon have significantly less titles than BD.

    Add in 2 facts:

    1. FIVE major studios (including 20th Century Fox, Sony, and DISNEY)
    are ONLY RELEASING in Blu-ray

    2. Because of the PS3, there will be MANY MANY more potential BD
    players than Hddvd players

    Add those 2 to the above and you figure it out. GAME OVER.

    asjbiotek, Jan 23, 2007
  11. From dictionary.com:

    "trend /trɛnd/
    –noun

    1. the general course or prevailing tendency; drift: e.g., trends in the
    teaching of foreign languages; the trend of events."

    A trend is a pattern. One sales figure that appears to go along with
    your previously-established conclusion does NOT constitute a pattern.

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein

    Geena Phillips, Jan 23, 2007
  12. p.s. The word "trend" does not appear in the article you cite, and with
    good reason. The hi-def disc business is FAR too young to have any
    established pattern recognizable as a trend yet. All the smart people
    know that.

    Geena Phillips, Jan 23, 2007
  13. asjbiotek

    asjbiotek Guest

    You do know you proved my point right? especially given the two factors
    i listed :

    1. FIVE major studios are NOT releasing titles in hddvd. Therefore, as
    time passes (and as shown in the period from 2006 to today) the number
    of blu-ray titles will become SIGNIFICANTLY larger than hd-dvd.

    2. As time passes, the number of blu-ray players will become
    overwhelmingly larger than hd-dvd, since: (a) More manufacturers are
    producing blu-ray (Samsung, Philips, Panasonic, etc); (b) PS3 sales by
    itself far outnumber any hddvd players. THEREFORE, given the larger
    player base (and as shown in numbers of discs sold from 2006 to today,
    where sales of hddvd was much larger than blu-ray in 2006, but where
    blu-ray now surpasses it by almost 60:40), the sales for blu-ray will
    become significantly larger than hd-dvd sales as time passes.

    asjbiotek, Jan 23, 2007
  14. asjbiotek

    asjbiotek Guest

    asjbiotek, Jan 23, 2007
  15. asjbiotek

    Dub Guest

    My God, not only are you short-sighted and wrong on many accounts,
    you're really also an obnoxious loser. Good luck with your BR
    crusade... you're going to need it as the Sony PS3 situation becomes
    more and more dire.

    Dub, Jan 23, 2007
  16. asjbiotek

    asjbiotek Guest

    "not only are you short-sighted and wrong on many accounts,"

    It usually helps if you actually add some factual arguments in your
    favor.

    asjbiotek, Jan 23, 2007
  17. My understanding is; BR has superior potential, at least; 50mb/s data
    transfer (HDDVD is 30 and DVD is 10)
    Higher storage capacity (which I, personally, don't much care about. Either
    version can easily accomodate a 150 minute movie; much longer and there's
    bound to be an intermission, so who cares if I have to change disks?)

    Problem is; Blu-Ray currently seems to use an inferior encoding to HDDVD
    (that can change, though)

    The data transfer is the thing that has me a leaning a little more towards
    Blu-Ray.
    Most of the highest-quality DVDs (the ones with the sharpest picture, etc.)
    tend to be the ones with a data-transfer close to maximum (8 or 9 mb/s) and
    from what I've read, the main advantage of High Definition is not so much
    the higher resolution (just look at the background in most DVDs; skies are
    textures and things, they barely use the resolution they do have; because
    they're limited by data/second,) but the higher amount of data used to store
    the image.

    The Man With No Name, Jan 23, 2007
  18. asjbiotek

    John J Guest

    What does this have to do with xbox360? Seriously go back to playing all
    those triple-A Playstation 3 titles instead of trolling these boards.

    John J, Jan 23, 2007
  19. asjbiotek

    Andre Matuch Guest

    Andre Matuch, Jan 23, 2007
  20. asjbiotek

    asjbiotek Guest

    xbox? what's that? i just posted to NGs that were from a previous
    thread....

    asjbiotek, Jan 23, 2007