More Netflix throttling fun

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by wunnuy, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    My neighbor is/was a heavy user and noticed throttling but just
    couldn't believe they'd stoop to such low tactics, now finally admits
    Netflix is scum and is canceling his subscription.
    Two weeks ago he turned in two movies one day, the third the next day.
    Five days went by and nary a movie was returned. He finally logged in
    the first two as missing, miraculously the next day they "arrived."
    That same day, the third one "arrived."

    The movies were A Shot in the Dark, Grey Lady Down & Goldfinger - three
    old movies (I made sure to note the movies since the Netflix apologists
    claim it's just new movies that are being held back to heavy users).

    That day, the next three movies showed up in his queue: Alice Doesn't
    Live here Anymore, Long Kiss Goodnight and The Notebook (I believe that
    last one is his wife's pick ;> ).

    All three showed up as going to be sent the next day (despite it still
    being the morning). All three had a one day turnaround according to the
    queue's predicted date. Two of the movie actually showed up five days
    later and one six days later. Now he is convinced he is being
    throttled.

    This is a guy, who like me, when he first got onto netflix always had a
    quick turn around and turned the service onto a lot of people. It was a
    few weeks ago he brought it up to me about Netflix all of sudden
    sending out disks slower (and why are they holding back disks?) and I
    told him of their throttling and he just couldn't believe a company
    would do someting that would obviously cost them lots of customers.
    Now, like me, he is hoping a better service comes along. Another
    Netflix customer bites the dust.

    (Justy's predictable rant about Netflix not throttling here)

    wunnuy, Mar 12, 2006

  2. wunnuy

    Alpha Guest

    This is so tiresome and really irritating. Cancel. Who cares? I
    don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Alpha, Mar 12, 2006

  3. wunnuy

    Alpha Guest

    PS

    Tell me what you and your friend intend to do the get rentals at a buck a
    piece?

    Alpha, Mar 12, 2006
  4. wunnuy

    Alpha Guest

    Another point:

    Renting discs is a crude and soon to be obsolete idea. When you pay $3 each
    (or $10 for a week) for a pay per view over the net, you will realize what
    a bargain you once had.

    Alpha, Mar 12, 2006
  5. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    Obviously you care and you care a lot, otherwise you wouldn't have
    responded to this post TWICE.

    wunnuy, Mar 12, 2006
  6. wunnuy

    Nonymous Guest

    So what's he going to do now for movies?

    Nonymous, Mar 12, 2006
  7. wunnuy

    TB Guest

    Yeah, all those video rental stores have just dried up and blown away,
    right? And anyone that thinks paying 2 or even 3 bucks for rental vs
    shilling out a buck and dealing with all the hassle of a Netflix style
    online renter is some kind of terrible trade off is just being ludicrous.

    T.B.

    TB, Mar 12, 2006
  8. wunnuy

    Alpha Guest

    It is you that are stupid.

    Alpha, Mar 12, 2006
  9. wunnuy

    TB Guest

    "Alpha" grunted:
    Still haven't quite mastered the art of conversing in English, hmm?

    T.B.

    TB, Mar 12, 2006
  10. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    We have these things out here called "Video stores." It's an old
    fashion concept, you actually have to physically go get your movie, but
    you get it right away.

    wunnuy, Mar 12, 2006
  11. wunnuy

    Alpha Guest

    You don't get the titles you want right away most of the time. They are
    already out.

    Alpha, Mar 12, 2006
  12. wunnuy

    AZ Nomad Guest

    If you're going to call somebody stupid, you should at least try to
    demonstrates the language skills of a twelve year old.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 12, 2006
  13. wunnuy

    AZ Nomad Guest

    Newsflash: netflix has more than one copy of each title.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 12, 2006
  14. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    I think Alpha may not be all there. He claims no one cares about
    Netflix throttling, then responded to this post six times.

    wunnuy, Mar 12, 2006
  15. wunnuy

    Nonymous Guest

    The poster stated that the neighbor was a *heavy* renter, with an example
    of about half a dozen in one week. He'll blow through a rental store's
    selection in just a few months, if he hasn't already done so via Netflix.
    I know that when I stop by my local Hollywood Video, there's not much there
    for me to rent. I've either already seen it or, am not really interested in
    it, or else it's out of stock (new releases).

    Nonymous, Mar 13, 2006
  16. wunnuy

    kingrundzap Guest

    The thing I don't understand, though, is why they wouldn't throttle
    everyone. Is it supposed to be that they randomly pick customers to
    throttle?

    I've been a customer for a couple years, and I don't think anyone could
    be a heavier user than I am (I get an average of 60 discs per month, 8
    out at a time)--why wouldn't I be throttled?

    kingrundzap, Mar 13, 2006
  17. wunnuy

    kingrundzap Guest

    The problem is that I couldn't rent over 60 videos per month for $50
    from a brick and mortar video store.

    kingrundzap, Mar 13, 2006
  18. Barry McCockiner, Mar 14, 2006
  19. wunnuy

    Nonymous Guest

    Nonymous, Mar 14, 2006
  20. wunnuy

    Black Locust Guest

    Bullshit. Only the movies released that week or the week before are
    usually out of stock. The typical Joe Sixpack customer heads straight
    towards the "popular/hot" new release for that week like mindless cattle
    and largely ignore everything else, irregardless of it's quality. As
    long as you aren't fighting them for those movies every week, you'll
    have no difficulty going home with a movie you want to watch.

    Black Locust, Mar 17, 2006