    Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor. I currently have 1 Gb of RAM, with two
    more slots available. Will I notice any increase in speed by adding
    another 1 Gb of RAM/ Thanks.

    rfdjr1, May 19, 2004

  2. Probably not unless while you are using your computer you hear the hard
    drive thrashing while swapping data into and out of virtual memory. I
    doubt very much you have that problem.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 19, 2004

  3. rfdjr1

    Martik Guest

    A faster HD with a large cache (8mb) or a raid setup will speed up your
    system

    Martik, May 19, 2004
  4. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    I'm using a Western Digital 120 Gb SATA hard drive with 8Mb cache at
    7200 RPM. I'm not really seeing any speed problem. I just wondered
    about adding the extra RAM and how much I would gain.

    rfdjr1, May 19, 2004
  5. And when do you stop noticing how fast a machine is?

    When the machine responds with complex information faster than I can
    input data.
    It depends on what you're doing with the computer. For many tasks, 1 GB
    of RAM is low-end; memory requirements can easily exceed 2 GB.

    Alexander Rogge, May 19, 2004
  6. rfdjr1

    Plato Guest

    When the current bottleneck ie the hard drive is replaced with a better
    alternative.

    You can add as much ram as you want, but if you're not using more than
    50 meg of the swapfile then you wont notice any difference.

    Plato, May 19, 2004