    more slots available. Will I notice any increase in speed by adding
    another 1 Gb of RAM/ Thanks.

    , May 19, 2004

  2. wrote:
    > And when do you stop noticing how fast a machine is? I'm running an
    > Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor. I currently have 1 Gb of RAM, with two
    > more slots available. Will I notice any increase in speed by adding
    > another 1 Gb of RAM/ Thanks.

    Probably not unless while you are using your computer you hear the hard
    drive thrashing while swapping data into and out of virtual memory. I
    doubt very much you have that problem.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 19, 2004

  3. Martik Guest

    > Probably not unless while you are using your computer you hear the hard
    > drive thrashing while swapping data into and out of virtual memory. I
    > doubt very much you have that problem.

    A faster HD with a large cache (8mb) or a raid setup will speed up your
    system

    Martik, May 19, 2004
  4. Guest

    I'm using a Western Digital 120 Gb SATA hard drive with 8Mb cache at
    7200 RPM. I'm not really seeing any speed problem. I just wondered
    about adding the extra RAM and how much I would gain.

    >> Probably not unless while you are using your computer you hear the hard
    >> drive thrashing while swapping data into and out of virtual memory. I
    >> doubt very much you have that problem.
    >>

    >A faster HD with a large cache (8mb) or a raid setup will speed up your
    >system

    , May 19, 2004
  5. > And when do you stop noticing how fast a machine is?

    When the machine responds with complex information faster than I can
    input data.

    > I'm running an Intel P4 3.2 Ghz processor. I currently have
    > 1 Gb of RAM, with two more slots available. Will I notice
    > any increase in speed by adding another 1 Gb of RAM/ Thanks.

    It depends on what you're doing with the computer. For many tasks, 1 GB
    of RAM is low-end; memory requirements can easily exceed 2 GB.

    Alexander Rogge, May 19, 2004
  6. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > And when do you stop noticing how fast a machine is? I'm running an

    When the current bottleneck ie the hard drive is replaced with a better
    alternative.

    You can add as much ram as you want, but if you're not using more than
    50 meg of the swapfile then you wont notice any difference.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 19, 2004