More And More PCs Shipping With Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2010.

  1. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    There's no mention of linux or quickweb in the article. Just an
    extremely overpriced underspec'd laptop.

    Even clicking through to the configuration options on the laptop for
    sale page only shows Windows options.

    So WTF have you been drinking, Larry?

    JohnO, May 20, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    Yes Windows 7 starter - the useless crippled version intended for
    third world countries. Micro$oft probably sells it to the OEM's at $1
    a pop just to keep a foot in the door.

    peterwn, May 20, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    victor, May 21, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    http://goo.gl/JSEb

    victor, May 21, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 21, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    OK I slightly goofed here but so what?

    You on the other hand keep repeating so-called statistics which hare
    badly skewed.

    All they prove is that only a small percentage of computers have
    Linux, but the sample you look at is:
    1. Desktop computers.
    2. Connected to the internet and used for general www browsing
    3. They browse a small sub-set of sites which gather the statistics.
    4. These sites may be ones that Linux users do not use for whatever
    reason.

    peterwn, May 21, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    Peter, this is just my own anecdotal observation, but in my work I see
    a lot of businesses their users. Not one is using Linux on the
    desktop. Not one. Some are using linux file, database, web and
    application servers though, with great success.

    I know hundreds of PC users but only a couple use linux at home. One
    is my dear old 75 yo mum who runs Ubuntu which I installed for her to
    do her email and web.

    I think the low usage statistics for Linux desktop use are about
    right. It's just not used by very many people at all.

    I could be wrong here, as this is out of my area, but it seems to me
    that management of large numbers of linux desktops in an enterprise is
    just too hard as linux lacks the policy management features of
    AcitveDirectory. Am I not correct about that?

    JohnO, May 21, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    Agreed that this seems an issue. However the issue here is not so much
    corporate desktops (many of which may not even access the internet)
    but the questioning of the general methodology of trying to analyse
    portions of the general computer population use which OS or browser by
    considering those which access a particular sub-set of web sites.

    peterwn, May 21, 2010
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Brocker Guest

    Surely you are kidding with No 2, I would have thought Linux users in
    general would be more likely to be connected to the internet.
    Especially since applications are not generally available in shops.

    Brocker, May 22, 2010
  12. In message
    No it isn’t. Those “policy management†features of ActiveDirectory only work
    with applications designed to work with them. The whole “group policy†idea
    is based on automatically copying bunches of Registry entries, nothing more.
    So it's easy to bypass, just by running software that doesn’t pay attention
    to those Registry entries.

    Unix/Linux, on the other hand, offers a proper multiuser protection system.
    For example, if you want to stop a user changing settings in an application,
    simply make that application’s prefs file read-only. No need for the app to
    be written to take any kind of “group policy’ rigmarole into account. And
    there are more powerful features, like giving different filesystem
    namespaces to different processes, so they don’t even see parts of the
    system they shouldn’t be accessing.

    Also, consider why Microsoft has introduced PowerShell: it’s to give Windows
    sysadmins access to at least some of the sorts of mass automation power that
    Unix/Linux users have enjoyed for decades. That is, assuming those Windows
    so-called experts can overcome their ingrained point-and-click mentality...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 22, 2010
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    The application repositories don't use these counters.

    Its not that the order of magnitude is wrong, Windows desktops do
    outnumber Linux desktops 100 to 1 but the impossitroll claims to be able
    to divine some evidence of a declining number of users from these stats
    which are more likely showing overall seasonal variations in leisure
    activity in an overall growing total

    The stats for mobile devices gathered by these surveys also look like a
    skewed estimate for similar reasons, mobile users hit mobile pages,
    facebook and twitter.

    victor, May 22, 2010
  14. Quite. :) I did hear recently that a student version of the office like
    thing sells at an 80 something percent discount (I think it was 84, but
    could be wrong). That's nothing but marketing. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 24, 2010
  15. OK I slightly goofed here but so what?

    You on the other hand keep repeating so-called statistics which hare
    badly skewed.

    All they prove is that only a small percentage of computers have
    Linux, but the sample you look at is:
    1. Desktop computers.
    2. Connected to the internet and used for general www browsing
    3. They browse a small sub-set of sites which gather the statistics.
    4. These sites may be ones that Linux users do not use for whatever
    reason.[/QUOTE]

    ... and impossible usually looks at "sales" data and "compares" them ...
    inconceivable ! :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 24, 2010
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Especially when it boots in 4 seconds instead of 45
    You won't even see a splash screen, its not like you need to be told
    what you are using all the time like Windows does, after all no one
    cares about that, they just want to get at their web stuff.
    http://goo.gl/ASrW

    victor, May 24, 2010