    correct colors then revert to the smeared colors. Any idea what's causing
    the problem and what I can do to fix it?

    Tom

    Tom, Sep 21, 2008

  2. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Failed to mention the OS is XP PRo sp3

    Tom, Sep 21, 2008

  3. Tom

    S.Lewis Guest

    How old is the Trintron? They are known to die in such colorful ways. I've
    seen several of the 17" models display a reddish tint within Windows on
    their way to failure.

    My 19" Trinitron (IBM) began to "fade" around the edges at desktop along
    with eventually displaying diagonal "pinstripes" visible both at the Windows
    XP splash screen and also less so (but still lightly visible) at desktop.

    If the monitor is older than 3 years old, it might be signalling its
    ultimate exit.

    Have you swapped with a different monitor by any chance?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Tom

    thanatoid Guest

    I have an 11 year old Sony Multiscan 100sx. Over the years it
    had a few minor problems which lasted a few weeks and "went
    away". Sony magic.

    It is now having a more serious problem which I will have to
    have fixed although it also, strangely, appears to be decreasing
    in frequency and "intensity". It is similar to yours, and it is
    intermittent.

    I was told by a technician there is a small PCB right behind the
    Trinitron tube which controls the three RGB colors and that the
    capacitors on it sometimes start going bad. You can tell by
    bulging of the top of the tube-shaped capacitors or by outright
    obvious signs of problems (leaking goo etc.). Poor solder points
    may also be deteriorating - very easily fixed.

    When the image is OK, is it as good as it was 11 years ago. I
    hate LCD's.

    While I am not afraid of fixing a lamp, I do not feel like
    opening up a TV/monitor. But I am reasonably sure I can have
    this problem fixed.

    You can also Google for "CRT monitor color shift repair problem"
    or some such combination. There are lots of repair advice sites.

    If you can find a Trini built in the last few years before those
    idiots stopped making them, GET ONE. Take advantage of all the
    morons switching to the LCD shit. I saw a widescreen (!) Trini
    for about $300 a year or so ago (it was about $2,500 when it
    came out). A high-end Trinitron /should/ last forever (mine is a
    very basic model and it has lasted 11 years of 5-10 hrs. of
    daily use).

    thanatoid, Sep 21, 2008
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    It's abput ten years op0ld. I haven't swapped it w/ another because I only
    have this one.

    Tom, Sep 23, 2008
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Mine started out intermittently and has become chronic.
    I'll buy a nice new LCD.

    Tom, Sep 23, 2008